Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This Is Where It Ends 'Every Moment Counts' Challenge

Hi all. This is a bit of a somber post because of the recent mass killing in Orlando, Florida, but this is an issue very close to my heart. And I think, now, close to all of our hearts. What I'm posting about today is a book that should really speak for itself (which I'll let it do in a moment) called This Is Where It Ends, and then I'm highlighting a challenge we should all try to take seriously this summer.


ABOUT THE BOOK + AUTHOR

Goodreads rating: 3.66
285 pages
Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


Marieke Nijkamp is a storyteller, dreamer, globe-trotter, and geek. She holds degrees in philosophy, history, and medieval studies and is the founder of DiversifYA, and a founding contributor to YA Misfits. She lives in the Netherlands. Visit her at mariekenijkamp.com.




ABOUT THE CHALLENGE



Here's the sign-up page for the challenge, where it highlights what you can have a chance to win if you participate.
Here's how to post about it on social media. This page describing the challenge can do it much more justice than I, so please take a look and consider signing up.



MY EXPERIENCE


I needed to end this post with something poignant because this is such a hard subject to talk about and yet it needs to be talked about. I've had an experience with this very issue, and it's always been hard for me to accept that this is our world now.

When I was going to school at UC Santa Barbara, we had a mass killing that rocked our tiny little college town. The shooter first made a video about how women were to blame for everything that had gone wrong in his life because they wouldn't have sex with him, afterward he proceeded to kill his two roommates and their friend by stabbing them to death, and then he went out into the small town of Isla Vista and went on a shooting spree. Six people died, and fourteen were injured. One of the injured was a boy in one of my classes who, had he been facing a little more to the left, would've been counted among one of the dead. I know what you're thinking: only six?

Any number bigger than zero is too many.

We've become desensitized to the killings of innocent people, and nothing is being done about it. I still think about that night every time I hear about someone bringing a gun to a public place and opening fire, which has become at least once every month. It sickens me and it frightens me that this continues to happen, that our world has succumbed to such violence with nothing but a whisper of protest.

It's tragedies like this that make you wonder what tomorrow holds. We should never be afraid to live our lives every day, and yet each year brings more and more fear. Each time I sit down in a movie theater, I wonder if this is the showing that someone will choose to shoot up. Now, when I go to a bar or a club, I'll wonder if this is the night my life will end.

This is why we need to live each day to the fullest, and not be afraid. Because if we cower, we're letting the violence keep a hold over us. We'd be letting hate win. So whether you participate in this challenge or not, consider making every day count. Do things you've always wanted to do, or maybe things you never imagined you'd do. But don't let the fear of dying hold you back. Love and happiness must always triumph over hate and fear.

And, above all my lovely followers, be good to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.