Tuesday, April 26, 2016

YALLWEST is coming! + RT Convention in Vegas Recap

Long-time no talk, followers! I know I've been extremely quiet recently, and I know that I promised to get back in the swing of things, but I'm doing my best.


First, I want to tell ya'll about Yallwest, which is happening this weekend in Santa Monica, CA! You can find the list of authors/creators attending here, the schedule for the Saturday panels here and the Sunday panels here, and the PDF for the signing schedule here. There's also an event going on on Friday, but I won't be able to make it. I'm hoping it'll be more organized than last year, especially since there will be more authors this time around. Meanwhile, here's a short look at the schedule:

Fierce Friday: YALLWEST Preview Event (Registration required at YALLWEST.com)
Presented by Macmillan Fierce reads and co-produced by the Santa Monica Public Library
Friday, April 29; 6PM - 8PM
Santa Monica Public Library, 601 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90401

YALLWEST Saturday
Saturday, April 30; 9AM - 6:30 PM
Santa Monica High School, 601 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405


YALLWEST Sunday
Sunday, May 1; 10:30AM - 5PM
Santa Monica High School, 601 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405

This is the second year that this spin-off from Yallfest has been in existence, and I'm so excited to be attending it again. I was able to secure a press pass, which will allow me to go to more panels and tell you all about what goes on. I still need to decide on which ones I'll be attending, and also who I'll be bringing with me to stand in lines. Let's be real, it'll probably be my dad.


Are you going? Which authors/artists are you most excited for?





The second reason for this post is to tell you all about my experience with Teen Day at the Romantic Times conventions in Las Vegas a couple weekends ago. My dad was nice enough to drive up with me to my parents' retirement house. We got there on Friday night and the first thing we did was go to this coffee place called Bad Owl Cafe, which is Harry Potter themed! If you check out my Instagram, you can see the pictures I took, but the best part was the Butter Brew coffee drink. If you're going for the taste, I would suggest no espresso. Then we went to go Zootopia (me for the second time), and it was still awesome! Little did I know that it was the calm before the storm.

The next day was pretty insane. Everything had a line. EVERYTHING. There was a line to check your bag because you could only bring in ten books at a time (at first I followed that rule, but then I realized they weren't really checking so I threw caution to the wind). There was a line in another room entirely to get into the Giant Book Fair. Inside the Giant Book Fair, there were lines for authors. They were really smart about the more popular authors, though, because they'd give a wristband with numbers on it, and they would call groupings of numbers over the PA system. That ended around 2pm, and then there were more lines. A line for the Sugar Rush Party with Fierce Reads and Swoon Reads (which came with some free books and candy!!), a line for the Harry Potter trivia panel (totally epic! Sadly, Gryffindor won and they would not let us hear the end of it), and finally a line for the Teen Day Party (a line for which I had to miss all of a panel for because what else would you expect from YA readers and free books).


When they finally let us in, we sat down with authors at round tables and played YA jeopardy! They also provided us sustenance in the form of hamburger sliders and soda. After that was over, it was time for the highly-anticipated tote bags as pictured above. Awesomely, I got to be a teen for a day due to my girlish good looks, and came home with probably around 20 free books. My most favorite book that I was able to snag was My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. Luckily, they'll be at Yallwest, so I'll be able to get it signed by all of them!

I was such a hectic day, but I was really glad I went. I wish it was close to me like that every year!

That's it for now! Hopefully I'll be posting soon about my fun at Yallwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.