Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Combo Post: What Does the Bookworm Say?; Outlander Read-A-Long Discussion Weeks 3 and 4

So I guess I've missed a lot recently! Not only have I not been posting, but I haven't been reading what I'm supposed to be. But I'm catching up with a guilt-ridden combination post, in which I attempt to bring together three different functions of my blog... here we go.


This is a feature hosted by me, Kimbery from The Windy Pages, Thuy from Nite Lite Book Reviews, and Crystal from Books Unbound, where we discuss different bookish topics. This week is all about what we read/drink when we're reading.

Honestly, I'm not really a snacker (or a drinker) when I read. Sometimes, it'll be dinner time and I can't stop reading, so I'll cook and eat my dinner while still reading. This actually works best when I'm reading on my Kindle because I don't risk the pages flipping away from my spot. But, if I'm reading and get hungry, I'll usually just put in my bookmark, get up from the couch to get my snack/drink, and watch a little TV while I eat. I think it's because I've gotten food on my books from eating while reading, and I kind of hate it. I feel like I've done a disservice to the writer and their work, so I don't really eat anything messy while I'm reading, if anything at all.

I must admit, though, that drinking tea while reading or writing makes me feel somehow more distinguished. Especially English Breakfast tea. I wish I understood how this works.




Hey guys! Welcome to the Outlander read-along that we're going for the whole month of February! Anyone can participate any way they want. If you just want to read along and read our discussion posts, that's cool. If you want to post the discussions on your blog, go ahead, just make sure you link back to my blog! If you just want to comment, that's awesome too! This read-along is hosted here at The Reader's Antidote, at Nite Lite Book Reviews and at Books Unbound!

So, umm, yeah, I completely failed in reading this book. I'm not sure what happened, but I think it had something to do with the fact that having a midterm in the middle of the month kind of threw me off.

On February 22nd, I was supposed to compare my initial thoughts with my current thoughts on the book because of being 3/4 of the way through. Even though I never quite got even 3/4 of the way through, I'll still give my opinion. I love this book; I really do. I know the fact that I kind of stopped in the middle seems to contradict that, but I really am enjoying it. I think that, while some people say that it's not historically accurate, I'm reading it for the romance and intrigue, and it does great with both.

On March 1st, I was supposed to discuss the conclusion/wrap up of the read-along and answer the following questions:
  • 1. How disorienting--or appealing--would it be for you to be transported back in time? How would you cope with the time change? Which era would be the most appealing for you to travel back to?
  • 2. If you time-traveled, how much of the future from which you came would you be tempted to reveal? What might you attempt to change using your knowledge of modern times?
1. Well, I think it would be more disorienting than appealing at first. There are so many things to get used to, especially if you're going into the past. Like indoor plumbing. But, that said, I'd love to travel to the time of Pride and Prejudice, and all other Jane Austen books. I know the point is that many of the women just got lucky because they actually found someone rich that they also fell utterly in love with. I'd obviously want this same fate, but I wouldn't have any of their advantages, no matter how small. I'd have to spend days trying to find a sprawling estate, merely hoping for someone there to take me in.

2. I think I'd say things sarcastically. They wouldn't get it, but I'd crack myself up, and that would be enough. Just like Claire, though, when she warns them close the beginning about there being a possible ambush at a certain spot in the hills, I'd want to preserve myself and my comrades with my knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.