Tuesday, February 10, 2015

top ten tuesday: top ten things i like/dislike when it comes to romance in books

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

This week's top ten is about things we like/dislike when it come to romance in books. Well, most of my experience comes from YA and NA, and I've only recently read an adult romance. So I'm going to split this up into top five lists by genre, and just telling within what I both like a dislike.

YOUNG ADULT
  1. I LOVE it when the characters are clearly compatible on all levels, not just attraction. The same could go for any of these genres, but it's particularly annoying in YA.
  2. I HATE instalove! This goes hand-in-hand with the first one, but I felt like it's so bad that it needed its own number. To me, it doesn't really exist; there can easily be instant attraction, but you can't know if you actually love someone until you learn about who they are on the inside.
  3. I like seeing how far a YA author will take the sexiness of a scene, especially when that author writes genres besides YA.
  4. I hate it when books have the sequel syndrome. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I remember when every sequel would make the main love interest disappear so that some other love interest could swoop in (think New Moon). Like I said, most YA writers have learned that that's not cutting it anymore
  5. I want to see more best friends becoming couples. The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting does this, but I haven't seen at that level in any other books that I've read. I guess it's because my boyfriend is my best friend (though I should point out that we became best friends after we started dating, but you know what I mean).

NEW ADULT
  1. This is a lot like YA in the sense that I still hate the whole instalove. I think that's why I enjoyed Beautiful Disaster; the MC really held her ground about not sleeping with the love interest, and although she eventually broke down, she did it only after they became best friends. In a way, she broke him down
  2. I love the really strong female characters. Most of them are already pretty messed up and definitely have something wrong with their lives, but they find ways to have friends and live a perfectly healthy life. They realize they can't internalize, though, when they meet the right guy that challenges them.
  3. I wish there were more paranormal NA books. Almost all the ones I've read have been stand-alone contemporaries, and I feel like it could be a great genre to include paranormal or dystopian in. In fact, I'm sort of writing a sci-fi that could be considered NA with the language...

ADULT
  1. I feel like there's a lot less of the whole instalove thing going on in adult books. Adults should at least claim to be wiser when it comes to falling in love with someone the moment you see them. This is a good thing.
  2. Adults are a little more jaded, so I feel like they never feel things as intensely as teenagers. Like in Outlander, there are times where I wish Claire would say what she thought about Jamie (this is from before they get married in the first book). Like, he's supposed to be attractive, and the fact that she's not thinking of jumping his virgin bones all the time before they're married kind of annoyed me. I want to see a more emotional side of the characters.
  3. I actually like all the sexiness, although I kind of wish it wasn't so rough at times. There's a part near the middle of the first Outlander book where I feel like it was rape. Just because his magic stick seemed to change her mind in the middle of it doesn't mean that she didn't say no in all the minutes before that. Same thing in Fifty Shades of Grey, but I don't even want to get into how so much more messed up that book is.


Well, that's all I could think of. What things do you like/dislike about the romances in books? Let me know in the comments



2 comments:

  1. You made some great points for each genre. I agree with adult vs. young adult - I could do without the angst sometimes in YA, but I could do with a little more swooning in adult. Although, I think Claire would have been all over that if she wasn't trying to convince herself she should stay true to her husband. ;) Here is my TTT if you are interested: http://www.rexrobotreviews.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-things-i-likedislike.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand what you're saying about Claire, but I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years, and I'm definitely not blind to hotties haha!

      Delete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.