Saturday, January 17, 2015

what does the bookworm say? ~ the reading slump


This is a feature hosted by me, Kimbery from The Windy Pages, Thuy from Nite Lite Book Reviews, and Crystal from Books Unbound, where we discuss different bookish topics. This week is all about the reading slump. This happens when nothing seems to capture your attention. What do we do when we hit a reading slump? Do we take a break or re-read a favorite or do we push through?

Well, I think I'm in some sort of reading slump right now. I've told myself that I'm not reading YA fantasy because I don't want to accidentally add someone's idea to my own fantasy novel. But the truth is that I feel like I'm just waiting for the right fantasy novel to come along. I've been going back to my default genre, which is YA paranormal, and reading some contemporaries, which I can pretty much race through. I haven't had a slump like this in forever--maybe never!--and I'm trying to work through it.

What I do when I hit a reading slump depends on the severity. The slump I've described above allows me to read other genres, though more slowly it seems. But there have definitely been times where I read the first lines of a book and just don't seem to see them. I'll stare at my many bookshelves (as well as my Kindle) and ponder obsessively over the perfect book I should read next and end up choosing nothing. It's just really daunting sometimes to realize how many books you have and how many of those are ones you haven't read yet, and I think that's a part of my problem.

Something happens during or just before a reading slump, and that's Netflix. Often, when I don't want to read, I'll find a show to binge-watch on Netflix. I think that's why I couldn't make my goal of reading 90 books last year. I'll see someone talk about the show and either start it or continue with it depending on what I've seen. This keeps me from reading. But I'll also purposefully look for something on Netflix to watch just so that I don't have to think about what book I want to read next. I know, it's a bad habit. I'm going to try to be better about it this year.

I've actually found most recently that audio books can pull you out of that reading slump. You have nothing else to do when you're driving and you're literally stuck there for however long, so it makes sense to listen to a book. Hey, if I could somehow read a book on my way to work, I'm pretty sure I would most of the time. But audio books kind of remind you of the magic of reading books with your own inner voice. And while some of the narrators may make you want to shoot yourself, I think that it's not only a great way to pass the time while you're unable to do much else than listen, but it's also a way of reading without actually having to do the reading. I don't know; listening to audio books has definitely made me feel more accomplished!


How do you get over reading slumps? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.