Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 End of the Year Book Survey!


I'm so glad to be doing this again and letting all of my readers know what went on this year that they might've missed! It's totally different from doing all the top ten lists; I feel like this talks about different aspects. Anyway, pop on over to The Perpetual Page Turner to check out the rules and see who else it participating.



Number Of Books You Read
79/90 that I planned. I know, I know, I'm pretty mad at myself for not doing better this year, but I was doing a lot of writing, so I had less chances to read.

Number of Re-Reads
Well, I re-read the entire Vampire Academy series when I was in Europe, which was fun. And then I started re-reading the Harry Potter books, but school got in the way after finishing the third one. I'll probably pick it back up this year.

Genre You Read The Most From
Contemporary (25 books)



1. Best Book You Read In 2014? (I'm breaking it down by genre)
CONTEMPORARY
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg 
PARANORMAL
Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3) by Wendy Higgins 
HISTORICAL
Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly #3) by Susan Dennard 
FANTASY
The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson 
DYSTOPIAN
Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3) by Veronica Rossi 
SCI-FI
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Stay With Me (Wait For You #3) by J, Lynn: I pretty much hated Calla as a character, and the guy was over-protective in such a way that almost made him unattractive. I'm hoping the next one will be better,

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog #1) by Anne Blankman: I suggested this one to a lot of people, but I have no idea if they've taken my advice yet...

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
STARTER: Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose #1) by Fiona Paul 
SEQUEL: Be With Me (Wait For You #2) by J. Lynn 
ENDER: Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #3) by Jessica Spotswood

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Mary E. Pearson, author of The Kiss of Deception, and before that the Fox Inheritance series.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Blackbird (Blackbird Duology #1) by Anna Carey: I don't normally read thrillers, but this one being in second-person POV was really out of my comfort zone. But I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick: I could not put this high-octaine thriller down. The only part I seriously wanted to put down was the ending. Otherwise, I loved this book.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg: I'm thinking about re-reading it really soon actually!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Patrick from The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg: Ugh I just love him!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: Her prose is insanely addictive, although I'll admit that it does take a few pages to get used to it.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Looking For Alaska by John Green: At first you wanted to know why things happened the way they did, but we never really find out, and that's okay. It's a book about learning to let go, and that was definitely something to consider.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: After hearing all the great things about this book, I'd been putting it off because I really wanted it to live up to the hype. And I'm glad it did.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: “Underneath this veneer of slightly crazy and mildly socially retarded, I'm a complete disaster.”
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: “Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you've been in before - you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall,the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.”

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
LONGEST: The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan [557 pages]
SHORTEST: Beautiful Surrender (Surrender #3) by Priscilla West [132 pages]

17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson: I had no idea which guy was which!

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Brie and Patrick from The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Kai and Anna from Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3) by Wendy Higgins 

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Juliette and Kenji from Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi: Despite the fact that Juliette seriously pissed me off in this final book, I loved Kenji and how he wasn't taking any of her sh*t. He was the only one willing to tell her that she was being an idiot and I loved him for it.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Be With Me (Wait For Me #2) by J. Lynn: I've read so much from Jennifer L. Armentrout, so I thought it made sense that one of her books should be a favorite this year.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson: I wasn't sure I wanted to read this one, but after being consistently told that it was so fantastic, I knew I needed to read it. Definitely felt pressured to read this one, and I'm glad I did.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Daniel from Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog #1) by Anne Blankman: I know I haven't mentioned him much, but he is all kinds of sexy. I mean, he's so brave in a country that wants his race extinguished, and he still finds time to fall in love with a German girl.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog #1) by Anne Blankman: This book is so steeped in history, and it's all such a precarious situation.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner: The world we find our two main characters in is so unique, and these  authors really painted a gorgeous picture of it all.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century trilogy by Rachel Harris: All the fluff!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly #3) by Susan Dennard: That ending!!

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog #1) by Anne Blankman: I'm surprised by how many people don't know about this book!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly #3) by Susan Dennard: Same answer as #26.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi: I hated what the author did in this book. She made a beloved character into a jackass, and nothing went the way I wanted it to. It made me so mad that the author chose what she did. I wanted to literally throw this book; it made me mad, and not in a good way.



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I'm really bad at finding new blogs, so I don't really have any new blogs that I found. I actually really stick to the ones I first found when I started looking for more than just Goodreads reviews.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Love Triangles: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Vegas Valley Book Festival: I was seriously surprised that there weren't more people at this event for how many awesome authors there were. I guess because Vegas is kind of in the middle of nowhere? Either way, I'll definitely be going next year.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
I guess I don't really have one this year... I wasn't part of many blog tours and I wasn't invited to be the blogger for any author events, I actually think one of the best moments was not having to blog when I was on vacation. It's not that I'm getting sick of blogging; it was just nice knowing I couldn't post and therefore not having to worry about it. Lame, I know.

6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Not sure; can't really get much stats on this year only.

7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Umm, all my posts? No, but mostly I wish reviews would get more love, but that means I'd actually have to write them.

8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
These questions are getting harder! Sadly, one of my favorite places to go to signings to went out of business.

9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed many of the challenges I signed up for, except for the Goodreads one. I wanted to read 90 and was about 10 books away from it.



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles #1) by Kresley Cole: Since this series is almost over, I should really start it. There are plenty of other books I want to read that I didn't get to; I even wrote a post about it.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer: I'll be so sad to see this series end, but I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles #2) by Mary E. Pearson

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
To actually reach my reading goal, and to post more reviews!

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Oblivion (Nevermore #3) by Kelly Creagh: This series is the definition of gothic, and I love it!


2 comments:

  1. Great list! I loved this list. You read some amazing books. I also loved Be With Me. It was fantastic. I've already pre-ordered the fourth in the series and hope it is fantastic.

    Danica Page @Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one of those I've read is Looking for Alaska and just such a wow book. I recently bought Shatter Me and look forward to beginning that series.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.