Saturday, November 22, 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say? ~ All About Thanksgiving!



Hi everyone, and welcome to the What Does the Bookworm Say? feature hosted by me, Thuy from Nite Lite Book Reviews, Crystal from Books Unbound, and Kimberly from The Windy Pages.

So today we're talking about Thanksgiving traditions and/or favorite Thanksgiving foods. I'll talk about both.

First, traditions!

I don't have very much family out here, so we always have Thanksgiving dinner with my great aunt. We used to go to her house and her and my mom would cook. But she's like 94 now, so my dad picks her up and brings her to our house. Recently, though, my parents bought a house in Henderson (the city just outside of Las Vegas, NV), so we eat dinner really early (like 3pm) and then head up there. I won't be going this year since I'll be spending the time after they leave with my boyfriend and his family.

Another tradition is watching the Detroit Lions play football on Turkey Day. I'm actually a long-time Lions' fan, so it'll be nice to watch them actually have a very good chance of beating the Bears. I mean Chicago is 4 and 6, so hopefully we don't choke. I love sitting around with my dad and watching the Lions play on that fateful Thursday.

My mom does most of the cooking. I help peel potatoes and do other odd jobs around the kitchen to help out, but in reality I don't do very much. I'm not much of a cook anyway; my boyfriend Kyle is definitely the cook between the two of us.

Okay, now food!

My mom usually starts with a little lunch. This year, she's making Manhattan clam chowder. We also always have deviled eggs, and omg they're so delicious!!!! Definitely one of my favorite holiday snacks. For the main event, we obviously have a huge turkey (I'm a white meat only kind of girl) that my dad carves with an electric knife. There's, of course, gravy and mashed potatoes and corn. My mom also usually makes some sweet potatoes with maple syrup. My mom also doesn't like to use sugar, so she never makes any pies or cakes, except pumpkin. I'm sure if I liked pumpkin pie, it wouldn't be too bad, but I don't. I know, people always look at me weird. I don't mind anything else that's pumpkin; I especially love pumpkin bread. There's just something about pumpkin pie that I can't get into. We also make a hot cider. No, it's not spiked, and that's probably a good thing because I'm going to have to drive soon after dinner and I'll already be in some form of a food coma. There's also stuffing, but I don't eat that either. I don't like celery, so I normally don't eat the stuffing. I might like other people's stuffing; I guess I'll find out when I eat my second Thanksgiving dinner with my boyfriend's family.

I'm sure there are some condiments I'm missing, but you get the gist. We're pretty traditional when it comes to the food served at Thanksgiving. But we don't have the greatest of traditions. When I tell people that we eat early and then drive to Vegas that same day, I definitely get some weird looks. It's why I'm staying this year after eating with my family so that I can just have a relaxing Thanksgiving with my other family, and slip into a blissful food coma.


What are some of your family traditions and foods on Thanksgiving? Let me know in the comments!


1 comment:

  1. You should make a pie just for you. That's kinda what I do since my parents are not super into sweets either. And we can share the turkey because I like dark meat!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.