Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3) by Wendy Higgins: review


Goodreads rating: 4.41
Paperback, 379 pages
Published April 29th 2014 by HarperTeen
Genre: YA paranormal

It’s time. Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.

Possible spoilers from books 1 and 2. 

Initial reaction:
Loved every minute of it!
This series has been a great distraction from the influx of contemporaries and high fantasies. I didn't realize it until a few months ago, but I really miss paranormals and urban fantasies. I recently started a series (The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees Brennan) that is doing a really good job of sating my paranormal desire, but it seems like authors don't really write them anymore. But this is so much more than a paranormal, and that's what I love about it. It puts a wholly new spin on the angels-demons theme, and I loved every minute of it. There's a burning romance with a totally hot guy, nearly perfect in all ways possible and yet still flawed, and a girl that is in no way helpless. And then there are the secondary characters, which really bring the story to life. It was amazing to see what these characters were willing to do for each other, and it was nice to see such a big group of connected people stay connected and present within the story.

Anna has had to make serious changes throughout this series. Yeah, she's become a lot stronger, but she's had to go through a lot of terrible things and do some terrible things to keep the people she loves safe. And Kaidan... ah, Kaidan. He's had to deal with way more bullsh** than any of the other characters, and we get to see such a sweet side of him in Sweet Reckoning. Ha, sweet... Sweet Reckoning. I digress. They both got the happy they truly deserved. Not everyone gets that in this series, but it was nice to see that these two get the happy ending they've been working hard towards. There were some seriously sweet moments and I found myself grinning from ear to ear at a couple cute parts. I'm really going to miss these characters and their stories.



People who are missing their fix of the paranormal and love swoony hot bad boys. And of course for anyone who has read the other two books in a series. 

The Lynburn Legacy series by Sarah Rees Brennan
The Dante Walker series by Victoria Scott
The Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.