Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Places Books Have Made Me Want To Visit


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

So it was really hard to pick just ten books, so I chose subjects. You'll see what I mean...

  1. The magical world of Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. This was a total given; I've joked thousands of times that I'm still waiting for my acceptance letter from Hogwarts (because they totally have an adult program), but I remember from a young age living in this world in my mind, and wishing so much that it was real.
  2. On that note, Harry Potter and other books made me want to go away to some sort of boarding school. Harry Potter is obviously the big one, but so is the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Despite all the danger they were always in, there's something about living in a confined place with no parents and limited supervision. The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout is another world where the MC lives where she goes to school. It all makes you grow up fast.
  3. I'm very particular with my historical settings, but when I find a good one, I latch on. These books include Victorian England from the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, 16th-century Florence from My Super Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris, World War II Germany from Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman, 19th century steampunk with the Something Strange and Deadly series by Susan Dennard, 15th-century Brittany from Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, and Renaissance Venice from Venom by Fiona Paul. There's something so different about all these places and time-periods, but they all add up to enchanting.
  4. Fantasy worlds are definitely at the top of the list. It's not only because they're completely gorgeous most of the time. It's also because they were created by the authors themselves, and I have a whole new respect for that since I'm doing the same. These books include many, starting with the timeless world of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, the multi-layered gorgeousness of the Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson, everything in The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, the richness of the worlds of the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo and the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, and the interesting political intrigue of The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen.
  5. Sci-fi's and dystopians also involve a lot of world-building. Some of the best dystopians are the factioned world of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth, the part-super-hero awesomeness of the Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi, the ground-breaking sci-fi survival romance of These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, the water-logged world of The Ward by Jordana Frankel (the book was okay, but the setting was so cool!), and the ingenious technological world of the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. It's hard to say you actually want to live in a dystopian world, but I think I'd like to be a keen observer. 
  6. Contemporaries have some fantastic places they can already build on from the real world. I've especially wanted to visit Paris after reading Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (which I did, and it was totally magical!), and the Revanants series by Amy Plum. Both make the city of love seem just so magical. There's also Ireland from reading See Me by Wendy Higgins, and the Teton Range from Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick (I just love the snow!).
  7. The afterlife can be cool as well. The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg is a fantastic example of this. The steps of grief have actual places in this purgatory-realm, and it makes for some great imagery. Plus, they're able to do things that people that are alive just aren't capable of. 
  8. Urban fantasy is really not much of a genre anymore, and it makes me sad because I think it takes a lot of ingenuity to figure out how to hide this entire world within the one we think we know. The biggest example of this is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. I love everything about the first three books (in my opinion, it should have stayed three books), and it made me want to go to New York as well. There's also the Angelfire trilogy by Courtney Allison Moulton, which I loved (it was also cool because it takes place in Michigan and I'm from there, so it was cool reading about places I knew)! And I think the Nevermore series by Kelly Creagh also incorporates it enough, and while it would be creepy to live in an Edgar-Allen-Poe world, it would also be pretty cool.
  9. Fairytale retellings are definitely one of the my favorite things in YA. The series I love most that retells fairytales is the dystopian-fantasy the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I just love the way she's built this dystopian world around fantastical stories. There's also Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson; despite the fact that I didn't particularly like the book, I'd love to live in Neverland!
  10. Any book with mythology in it is automatically a world I want to live in. I've always loved mythology and it's fascinating to me the way they use it to create a story that transcends time. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan is a prime example. There's also the Goddess Test series by Aimee Carter and many others. It's why I'm using mythology in my own series that I'm writing; there's just something about taking the mold of a civilization and making it into something all your own.


What places have books made you want to visit? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.