Thursday, October 23, 2014

Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3) by Veronica Rossi: review


Goodreads rating: 4.23
e-ARC, 392 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by HarperCollins
Series: Under the Never Sky #3
Genre: YA dystopian

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do—and they are just as determined to stay together.

Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her earth-shattering Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.

 Possible spoilers from books 1 and 2.

 This book--this series--was so fantastic. It's definitely one of my favorite dystopian series, and one of my favorite romance series. Like my other more recent reviews, I can't remember all that much about this book except that I loved it and thought it was a perfect ending to such a high-stakes, thrilling series. The first main focus is Cinder. Some seriously bad people have taken him and there's no telling how they're going to exploit him for his powers, powers that are still unpredictable. But Cinder is the only one that has the ability to channel the Aether to cross into the Still Blue, where they believe they'll all be safe. Hess and Sable aren't the only ones that want to cross into the Still Blue; obviously Perry and Aria and all their people are desperate to not have their lives governed by the Aether. And because Cinder is missing, tensions between the Outsiders are seriously high.

The growth of the multiple relationships in this one was what really drove the plot, as it has for the entire series. Roar was just so impossibly broken, and it was so hard for all of them to move on and want a better life with Perry's sister gone. It helped fuel their hatred, but it was a very delicate situation and none of it helped the overall growing tensions. There's so little said between these characters, but they know each other so well that they only need gestures or a simple look to convey the most important things. I was really surprised by the secondary characters; they stole my heart. The most surprising was Soren. Despite who his father is, he really steps up and does what needs to be done. Besides Cinder, there was also Brooke. I really want a series from both their POV's.

This entire series was a constant thrill ride with twists and surprising characters. I will read anything Veronica Rossi puts out there, knowing that she makes her characters the forefront of novels that are still rich in world-building. I'm sad to see this series go and I'll miss all these characters, but I'm excited to see what's next from this author!


 

 Lovers of this series and kick-butt dystopians!

The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
The Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson
The Defiance trilogy by C.J. Redwine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.