Monday, September 29, 2014

The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines #4) by Richelle Mead: mini review


Goodreads rating: 4.44
Hardcover, 420 pages
Published November 19th 2013 by Razorbill
URL: http://www.bloodlinesseries.com
Series: Bloodlines #4
Genre: YA urban fantasy/romance

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure — and re-education — looms larger than ever. Pulses will race throughout this smoldering fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.

Possible spoilers from previous books in the series!


Initial reaction: Not as good as the other books, but that ending is such a cliffhanger!! I'm so glad we don't have to wait forever for the next book to come out... Also Sydrian was so awesome in this one, but I'm hoping the next book gives Adrian a chance to really shine even more than he did in this one.

This turned out to be a lot more about Adrian, which was just fine with me. I'm still not sure how I felt about seeing things through his eyes, especially Sydney, when we never got to see Rose from Dmitri's POV. It just doesn't seem fair, and I'm afraid that many authors are starting to write parts of their books from the guy's POV in order to sell books. I don't think that's the case here, but, while it was interesting, I don't think it was necessary. That's all part of the mystery, I think, and while I think it's interesting to see scenes in the girl's perspective re-written in the guy's, but otherwise I'm kind of over it. Speaking of Rose and Dmitri; we do get to see them for a bit, and it made me seriously miss their story. I recently re-read the Vampire Academy series, and while I didn't sob this time since I knew what was going to happen, it made me remember how much I missed those two.

Sydrian takes a significant step in this one. Actually, Sydney kind of annoyed me in this one. After Sydrian do the deed (not really a spoiler, it was going to happen sooner or later), it's almost as if she loses ALL of her awkwardness about doing it. Adrian describes it as how she does the rest of her life: in a scientific way with experiments. Yeah. Now, I'm not a prude (I've been in a relationship for almost 6 years now, after all), but I was actually kind of freaked out by the idea of Sydney experimenting when she really is the epitome of a prude before having sex with Adrian. So, yeah, that actually really bothered me--a lot more than I thought it would. But just like in Vampire Academy, after the deed is done, something terrible happens to one of them. That would be the cliffhanger I was alluding to.

Overall, it was good, but not great, with an insane cliffhanger that I don't know how they're going to get out of! I actually just bought Silver Shadows, so I'll be starting that soon!


 

People who have read the previous books in the series, and anyone who loves urban fantasies, steamy romance, and anything by Richelle Mead.

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent



1 comment:

  1. I agree with your entire first paragraph!

    I am so excited to see Adrian grow in this one - I think it'll be very similar to what we saw with Lissa in VA. I think Adrian's POV is necessary in order to show how much he grows and find out what goes on in the outside world while Sydney is captive. In VA, we saw a lot of Lissa's perspective because of the shadow bond and I think Mead is trying to give us the something here even though Sydney isn't shadow kissed.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.