Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3) by Rae Carson: mini review


GOODREADS
Goodreads rating: 4.30
e-ARC, 433 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books
Series: Fire and Thorns #3
URL: http://www.raecarson.com/books/
Source: for review from the publisher
Genre: YA high fantasy

The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead her three loyal companions deep into the enemy's kingdom, a land of ice and snow and brutal magic, to rescue Hector and win back her throne. Her power grows with every step, and the shocking secrets she will uncover on this, her final journey, could change the course of history.

But that is not all. She has a larger destiny. She must become the champion the world has been waiting for.

Even of those who hate her most.

Spoilers from books 1 & 2!


I read this book last April, so I'm very fuzzy on the details. This is why the review won't be very long, but I still want to tell you what I thought about it.

One of my favorite things about this series is the change in scenery. Each book has its own unique and dangerous place, as well its own storyline. I loved the challenges they faced in this icy part of the world; it added a whole new dynamic to it. Plus, I love snow and winter. This series stood out for me from the beginning when the love interest from the first book actually died. I'd never had a book break my heart like before then. And then this series just continued to break me. Hector is one the main reasons for this. He's stood by Elisa, even when she didn't really see him as anything but a soldier. He became so much more in this one, and just... the swoonage from this guy is indescribable. Hector is definitely top three of my book boyfriends, even after having finished this series over a year ago. Elisa has really grown over this series, and it's amazing how she responds to certain situations. I feel like Rae Carson has a great understanding of humans and our emotions, and she translates that so flawlessly onto her characters. I don't think I've ever read a better complete series, where every single book just blew me away and I couldn't put it down. I'll really miss this series and its amazing characters, but I know Carson is writing another series, so I can't wait for that!


 I cannot recommend this series more to people! If you haven't picked up the last book, please do. This is probably my favorite fantasy series to date!

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.