Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth: mini review

Goodreads rating: 3.64
Signed B&N Hardcover, 526 pages
Published October 22nd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Series: Divergent #3
Source: Bought
Genre: YA Dystopian

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

Spoilers from books 1 & 2!


Well, the end of book was spoiled for me. What happens at the end was popping up everywhere and I couldn't avoid it. But I also want to say that I can appreciate the choice that Roth made at the end. She sought time and time again to prove that this was not a forgiving world, and by the end of this series, she more than proved that. I can't be mad at her for wanting to drive her point home, and I know a lot of people were really pissed about the ending, which is why it took me a little time to read it after I first got my copy, but I get where other people are coming from too. Authors love to kill off the people you love most, but that's life. Maybe college makes you cynical; I don't know. Either way, I can appreciate the choice Roth made, and that's that.

There's something that's been bothering me ever since I read Insurgent, and it's the fact that this series should have been a duology, ESPECIALLY with how long Insurgent was when it didn't need to be. I felt like nothing really happened in Insurgent except that more people died. As if we hadn't seen that in bulk during Divergent. But I LOVED Divergent; to this day it's still one of my favorite books. And I really enjoyed Allegiant. So my thought is that this easily could have just been a duology. I'm sure there are plenty of successful ones out there, and with the way Divergent sold, they would have had no problem. But so many people push for trilogies, and I felt like Insurgent wasn't close at all to how good Divergent was. Luckily, Allegiant made up for that. I appreciated, as with the rest of the series, the relationships between the characters. While this is a time for action, it's also a time for learning about each other. We also get to see life beyond the fences which, really, isn't that much different.

Some people had issues with the dual perspective, so here's my take on that. The book I'm writing right now has multiple POV's, one of which is the main girl character. But I would never right a scene from the point of view of the guy. It just seems to invasive compared to the other characters, and, honestly, I don't want to know what the guy character is thinking, even if it's my own character. If he's being mysterious then it's kind of a mystery for me too. Plus, it's kind of hard when your character is holding a huge secret. But, honestly, I think Roth kind of gave in to what other authors have done, and that's putting the perspective of certain events in the book in the guy's POV to make him more swoony/badass. But a lot of people had the problem that they couldn't distinguish between the two voices, and that wasn't a problem for me.

Overall, a very enjoyable read and an honest conclusion to a heart-wrenching dystopian series. I hope to see more amazing things from Ms. Roth.

[IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS PARAGRAPH]
So, like I said, I was spoiled the ending for this book, which was why I put it off after I first got it. I mean, something like Tris dying was going to happen. It might have been Four or someone else, but I can see why it had to be Tris. There were some other deaths and some things worse than death, but for some reason, I got the feeling someone important was going to die. With a world as dangerous as this one. someone needed to be sacrificed. Tris was primed all along.

 

 Anyone who's read the other two books, and loves dystopians!

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Blood Red Road by Moira Young


1 comment:

  1. I really liked Allegiant, but it really sucks that you got spoiled.

    I don't think the dual POV was to make Four more of a badass. We needed someone to continue the story after Tris dies, and having Tobias as a second narrator allowed us to do that.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.