Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Long-Winded Explanation of What I'm Going to be Reading This Summer

So, as I mentioned a couple posts ago, not only am I graduating from college in a week, but I'll also be going on a long-ass trip to Europe. It's going to be an exhausting but amazing summer. That being said, I don't know how many days I'll actually have to read while I'm away, since I'll be so busy doing things. I think the first part of the trip will give me ample time to do some reading since I'm doing the first part with my parents and will be missing out on some things so that I can see/do them for the first time with my boyfriend. I can't wait to read in a pub in Dublin, a park in London, a cafe in Italy. I'm going to try to take some pictures of me reading for the Out and About meme that my awesome friend Kimberly has created.

The other part of this is that I've been extremely lucky this last quarter. But there are a couple things I have to explain first.

Before the mass murder in Isla Vista (the town right beside UCSB) occurred:
At the beginning of the quarter, my Bio-Political Modernism (it sounds worse than it is) teacher explained that he would be leaving the country the day before the final, so it would be take-home. So that was awesome!
My post-apocalyptic class (taught by the sci-fi teacher I'd had the quarter before) only required a single paper (or in some cases, a creative project, which is what I did) and a very difficult in-class final. I was dreading the final, but he's one of the best teachers I've had and I wasn't going to say no to reading post-apocalyptic fiction.
My third and only other class was a creative writing class, so the only "final" we had was to turn in a portfolio with the specified material on the last day of class.
After the mass murder occurred:
My modernism teacher took a whole class period to talk to us about what happened. It was a very emotional hour and fifteen minutes, especially since someone in our class had been shot in the arm (he's perfectly fine now; the bullet didn't hit bone, so it went clean through). Because of this, he cut out one of the books we were going to read and shortened the paper, as well as the amount of identifications on the take-home final. Both would be due in his department mailbox by 1:30 PM on Friday.
My post-apocalyptic teacher not only suspended his attendance policy, but also decided to make the final optional. This meant that 90% of my grade would be decided by what I got on this paper. Luckily, I'd taken him before AND I was doing a creative project, so I had great faith in myself.
The killings gave me some perspective for my final project in my creative non-fiction class, and so I channeled that sadness into writing.
I won't begin to express my sadness over what happened, and my eventual guilt in the fact that I feel relieved my final was made optional and other assignments were shortened due to this tragedy, while seven people are no longer alive. I wrote a lot about it in my creative nonfiction assignment, but basically many of us that weren't directly affected will soon forget about what happened. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about it, but I know one day it'll only be once, and then it'll be a few days before I think about it again, and then a week, and so on. It's inevitable.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get all depressing. But I didn't not want to talk about what happened. My whole point of that was a roundabout way of saying that my summer has basically started now since I don't have any more work to do for this school year. That being said, the first few books are physical copies, but most of the ones I list are ebooks I either bought or have for review. Again, this is because I'm going on vacation and I have to pack as light as possible. Without further ado, here are my poisonous summer reads!




[also any other physical copy books I can finish before the time I go, which I doubt will be more than this]

The following books are ones I'd love to read on vacation. They're in no particular order, and I know for a fact that I won't get to all of them. It's just nice to have so many amazing-sounding novels in my kindle arsenal. There are also a lot of books coming out this summer, so I'll have to keep track of that as well in case I need to buy the ebook right then and there!


There are others tucked away in the recesses of my kindle that I'm going to try to dig out, but I think this is a very promising start to fill any downtime I find myself encountering in Europe. What are you reading this summer? Let me know in the comments!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so sorry for what everyone in your community went through, and glad that you and those you know are ok. It's totally normal to experience the emotions you're going through (even the guilt for having these feelings), but the important thing is to not let the guilt get to you. Congratulations on graduating and I hope you have an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about what happened there. I had a lot of friends go to UCSB so I've been in those neighborhoods many times. I think it's natural to feel some guilt but I think everyone just has to deal with it in their own way. I am really glad you are safe. We will have to have one last hurrah next week when you're in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you were so close to such a tragedy. I how you have a wonderful and restful summer abroad. That looks like a fabulous reading list! Many of which I want to read as well!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.