Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say? ~ The Change-Up


Sorry I'm a couple days late with this one, I didn't have much wifi over this weekend (plus it was Valentine's Day). Luckily, this is an easy one that I've definitely thought about before.

Now today's topic is... cover changes!

On principle, I hate cover changes. The main reason for that is because I like the books I have for a series on my shelves to look the same, and it messes with everything when they don't. The most annoyed I've been with cover changes are the Nightshade series by Andrea Cremer and the Born Wicked series. They changed them for the worse, which makes no sense to me. Before the change, I'd heard from so many people saying how much they loved the covers for both of these first books, and then for some reason, they decided to change the covers to something that wasn't nearly as good. Another example of cover changes (and one that's had the most cover changes I've ever seen for a YA series) is Across the Universe by Beth Revis. It was another gorgeous first book cover, and then they changed it... and changed it again! So unnecessary.

One of the cover changes that was meant to be the main focus of this post was the new Vampire Academy cover changes (and we don't mean the movie version, although that's a whole other ball game). I actually love this cover change. I always felt like I was reading some sort of Gossip Girl book because of the girl's faces against a strange Gothic background. But with these new covers, you still get to see a version of whatever character is on the cover, but now the VA takes president, which I really think more embodies these books. It's not about the Gossip-Girl-high-school-esque world, it's about some serious vampire stuff!


Cover changes when the book is being made into a movie makes sense. It'll likely bring in a new audience to read the book of this movie they're excited for, which is great for the author and the movie. In fact, the first time I bought Twilight, it was the cheap movie version because I wasn't sure I would like. Obviously, I have a paperback copy with the original cover now, but because the movie looked interesting I wanted to read the book, and have the movie cover made me want to pick it up more.

All in all, I don't really like cover changes. When they're for the bad, I get angry, but when they're for the good, I can't be too mad. The only reason I really get mad is when my series covers don't match up. It's a small thing, but for a bookworm, it's a big deal.
What do you think of book cover changes? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. I think the only cover changes I've liked are for the Shatter Me series..I love the eyes.
    Mostly though, I like having my books match and like you said, it messes thing up when the covers change :P
    It also seems like the majority of book cover changes are for the worse lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far the only cover change that irritated me was Holly Black's Curse Workers trilogy. I loved the first two original covers and it made me so angry that the final book - Black Heart became completely different! I tried searching for a different version that existed SOMEWHERE but alas, it didn't exist. IT'S SO PAINFUL.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.