Friday, February 28, 2014

Double Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas & Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Sadly, I read both of these books so long ago that I couldn't write full reviews for either novel. But I still want to let you guys know what I thought of both books. I may do this for a couple more books I have waiting in m review queue, but for now, here are my review for Crown of Midnight and Dare You To!


Goodreads rating: 4.51
eARC, 420 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt. But her heart never wavers.

After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?

There may be spoilers from book 1.

I wish I'd had more time to read this, but I think if I'd really and truly loved it, that I would have found a way to finish it quicker. Still, I absolutely love this series and this one tore at me even more than the first book, which really seems impossible. Now that I've had more time to think about it, I found myself not wanting to devour this book. I love lore just as much as the next person, if not more, but I found myself not caring. I guess it's because I can't relate to Celaena as a person. I'm obviously not an assassin, and even all the time she spent alone didn't make her human enough to me to feel like I knew what was going on in her head. I also understand that she's an irrational teenager put into a situation no one can really understand, but I think what makes a YA book so great is the moments of complete innocence and naivete, none of which Celaena possesses. Luckily, Chaol was there long enough to distract me.

I seriously love Chaol. I've always been Team Chaol and will continue to be even after the disaster of this book. There really isn't a love triangle anymore, although Dorian is there for her when she feels like she can't turn to Chaol (although she totally could). This book was full of action and intrigue, and someone very close to Celaena is thrust out of her life and damages her seemingly irreparably. Now Celaena is scarred, which means she'll be even less relatable in the third book. I actually don't understand how this is going to be six books. Maas obviously has a plan, but I don't see it quite yet. There must be a lot more she has to expand on that somehow hasn't already happened. There's also the court politics that are very interesting, but boring at times since political intrigue is so not what this series is about. All in all, I enjoyed this one, but I think it could have been better. Had it been better, I'm sure it would have taken me way less than over a month to finish it. Hopefully the other books don't disappoint.

 

Those who enjoyed the first book and love high fantasy mixed with faerie lore and sweet romance.

The Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson
His Fair Assassin series by Robin LaFevers



Goodreads rating: 4.22
456 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Series: Pushing the Limits #2


Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all...

 Possible spoilers from book 1.

I love Katie McGarry!! She's quickly become one of my favorite authors. I have so many feels for this book. I guess my only real complaint (although it's a big one) is that Bethany seriously bugged the crap out of me. She annoyed me in Pushing the Limits, so I was pretty skeptical reading this one since I didn't like her in the first place. At the end of the book, I still didn't like her, but Ryan made up for it. Ryan was just...mmmmm. The funny thing is that I knew a guy in high school named Ryan that played baseball, so I kind of put a face on the character to begin with, but by the end I had a pretty different idea of who Ryan was, and I loved him. He made this book for me. I've never had parents that insisted I play a sport for any amount of time, but some of the girls I played soccer with were definitely forced to be there. I really can't imagine a life where everything is chosen for you, like what college you're expected to go to with whatever sports scholarship comes your way. So it's not just Bethany that has her problems, Ryan has basically rich people problems. Yet it really seems to bring them together that they're both broken. I enjoyed the romance when Bethany wasn't being annoying. I know, it was my only complaint, but it spanned the entire novel. Otherwise, I again enjoyed the sexiness and beauty of a Katie McGarry novel. I've already read the third one for a blog tour and reviewed it, but I can't wait for the fourth one!


Those who have read the first book (although it's not necessary) and lovers of YA contemporary.

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

1 comment:

  1. Oh Throne of Glass! I am so looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.