Saturday, January 4, 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say? ~ Reading Resolutions


So this is a totally new feature that I'm taking on with my blogging besties Kimberly from The Windy Pages, Thuy from Nite Lite Book Reviews, and Crystal from Elegantly Bound Books! I think the banner above says it all, so just enjoy the ride! I know we will. And hopefully you get the play-on-words of the name of the feature (hint: like that song What Does the Fox Say?)

Reading resolutions - Yay or Nay? If yay, what are your 2014 reading resolutions/goals?

YAY for reading resolutions! I hope to actually meet mine this year. Last year, I originally challenged myself to read 125 books, which I certainly did not meet. The first thing to hurt that goal was that I got an actual office job last summer and so I was working instead of reading. And then I started school and I was still working, so I literally had no time to read or even blog. Anyway, enough excuses. Here are my goals for this new year:

  • Read 90 books in 2014. I nearly got to 80 in 2013, which was miles below what I'd read the year before. I'm hoping to do better this year, but I'm not going to shoot nearly as high as I did at the beginning of 2013.
  • Read more of what I want. While I love signing up for blog tours, it's not very often that they are for books I want to read right that moment. I still plan to sign up for blog tours, but I really want to read more of what I want to read. I think that's one of the reasons I didn't quite meet my goal since it takes me longer to read something I'm not quite interested in at the moment.
  • Sign up for less reading challenges. Just a few less though. There are the ones that I host myself, which, of course, are givens, but there are a few that I signed up for last year that I won't be participating in this year.
  • Spend less money on books and read ones that I already have, only buying books of series that I'm dying to read. I wrote up a list at the end of 2013 of books that I'm excited for. Some of them are ones I have for review and so I won't be buying them unless I love them, and even then I'll be waiting for the paperback to come out. There's no way I'm not going to buy books, but I'm trying to keep within some sort of budget. I am trying to save for Europe after all!

What are your reading resolutions for 2014? Let me know in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. Great resolutions Nicole. I think reading books you WANT to read is really important. Sometimes I also find myself reading to review and secretly wanting to read something else, but due to deadlines can't read it til much later. I hope you achieve your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome reading resolutions Nicole! You know what's funny? I've still never heard that song "What does the fox say" lol!!! And I'm so glad you're hosting your 2 reading challenges again! High hopes this year! High hopes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Against my better judgement I signed up for a bunch of reading challenges. The # goal is 100 for the year; I'm doing 7 for And So It Begins, and who knows what will happen with the Better Late than Never -- I'm already trying to game it so some of my books count for more than 1 challenge. Haha! You all are so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome goals, Nicole. I would like to read more of what I want, too. Sometimes it's such a race to finish and I really want to savor my books this year. Yes also to buying less books. I have so many and we need to get rid of some before ALA. Good luck with all of your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.