Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: review


Goodreads rating: 4.50
Hardcover, 313 pages
Published January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books
Source: purchase, signed
Genre: YA contemporary

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
There are just too many feels!!! I didn't quite believe people when they said I'd need a Kleenex box for this book, but I was very glad I only read this at home and read it in a day. I was a total sobbing mess by the end, and I don't think I've ever openly sobbed at a book. John Green, you are so wonderfully evil. Okay? Okay. I had a little inkling of what would happen at the end, and I think that's why I stayed home because I knew it would break me the more I read. There was also so much hype around this book, so that's probably why I took so long to read it. I needed the hype to die down because then it couldn't be anything less than pure perfection. Even now, knowing that it was perfection, I'm really glad that I waited. John Green's writing is beautiful and so perfect that I could barely put the book down to eat, until that ending when putting it down was what I had to do to put it down to cry and gain some composure. Like I said, John Green is wonderfully evil, and I hope to try more of his novels in the future.

Confession time: this is the first full-length John Green book I've read to this day. I read the story he had in the collection Let It Snow, but otherwise I'd stayed away for some reason. Now I don't know if I can read anything else by him because I'm not sure it's going to compare. The truth is, this won't be much of a review, either. People have already kind of made up their minds about whether to read this book or not, and one review probably won't change that. But let me just say that, though this book didn't change my life, it was inspiring and heart-breaking and unlike any YA contemporary I've read. John Green makes light of such terrible things, and especially since these things are happening to young people that have no control over it. I think the unfairness of it all is what really pushed it over the edge, and what really got the tears flowing. It was such a wonderful and beautiful story that I will never forget and I can't stress enough how much I loved this book and how much I think you will love this book. You don't even have to enjoy YA. It truly is a story for those of all ages.
EVERYONE! As long as you're willing to cry. Because you will.
P.S. The pretty stars over the apples means the book is even more than five apples.


2 comments:

  1. I just started reading this book, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I really like it so far. Like you said, the writing is beautiful and funny, and the characters are so easy to like. But if the ending is sad, I guess I should whip out my tissue box while I'm still ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Nicole. Honestly, I have read John Green's other books and this is my favorite by far. I'm looking forward to reading what comes out next!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.