Friday, January 24, 2014

Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2) by Jessica Spotswood: review

Goodreads rating: 4.22
Hardcover, 384 pages
Published June 18th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2
Genre: YA historical paranormal romance

With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.

In the highly anticipated sequel to Born Wicked, the Cahill Witch Chronicles continue Cate, Maura and Tess's quest to find love, protect family, and explore their magic against all odds in an alternate history of New England.
Spoilers from book 1!
I cannot explain how much I loved this sequel. This is one of the few books where it kind of worked with the love interest being away for most of it because there was so much more intense stuff going on. This was my initial reaction to the book, which I wrote on Goodreads: “I am outraged! Maura is such a beotch!!!! I'd read that in a couple reviews and could see their point through most of the book. But what she did at the end was unforgivable. She deserves whatever terrible end she gets. I did love Tess though. It's like night and day with those two sisters. Not as magical and exciting as the first one, but I still enjoyed it.” I was completely outraged and so done with Maura even before the book was over. It’s truly amazing how selfish and maniacal sisters can be, but I have no idea since I’m an only child. She just took things too far, and what she did at the end will make Spotswood kill her off in the last book, I just know it. I’m sure Cate and her will make some sort of amends, but mark my words that crazy witch is going down!! Okay, sorry, I think I’m just mad that there was such a terrible (in the best way possible) cliffhanger. I literally stared at the book for a solid two minutes and wondered what the hell I had just read.

As I said, this book wasn’t nearly as magical as the first one, but that’s because everything was new to Cate then, and frankly she had a lot more political stuff do deal with this time, whether it was about her sisters or the new order she was forced to join. Finn being away did make it tenser, and while I’ll admit that it did work in this case, I still missed him. A lot. He really is Cate’s rock. I think Tess tried to take on that role, but she had her own problems that Cate was trying to help her with, and so it wasn’t possible. But, goodness, I wish there had been more Cate and Finn. He’s one of the reasons that cliffhanger was so cliffghangery. The character development is what truly brought this book together, though. Cate has to evolve in order to stay at her position in the Brotherhood while trying to control Tess’ growing powers and control Maura’s growing rage. As this second installment came to a close, I came to admire and love Tess, and absolutely despise Maura. After what she did, I don’t how Cate and Tess and Finn are going to come out of this one. They certainly won’t be unscathed. But I know our Cate will figure something out. I cannot wait to read the final book in this trilogy; it’s going to be so exciting!!
Those who enjoyed the first book in the series, and a wonderfully witchy YA series!
 


1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to pick these ones up, I've heard such good things about the first book, but just like your review, have heard people angry at Maura! Thank you for your honest review! Can't wait to see what you think of the third book!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.