Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 End of the Year Book Survey

I'm very excited to be doing this again for 2013. I know I already did a lot of lists before this one, but hopefully this sheds a little more light on everything :) Thanks to the Perpetual Page Turner for hosting this!

1. Best book you read in 2013? (I'm cheating, breaking it down by genre, because you know I couldn't pick just one... or even five. I'm also putting putting books that were published in other years.)
Contempotary: Wait For You by J. Lynn, Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic: Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Historical Fiction:  Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard, Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood
Paranormal: Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead, Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins, Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Science Fiction: Cress by Marissa Meyer
Fantasy: The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
MILA 2.0 by Debra Driza. I was super excited for this one because I fell in love with the premise, especially after loving the cyborg from Cinder, but sadly it really fell short for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 
The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis. I'm still not quite sure what to think of this book. It was so good, but also so tragic. It was very surprising that it was so good, but also surprising that it ended to terribly.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most?
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead & Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This was a tough one because I read a lot of series this year that I loved, so that's why I went with two series-starters. Both of these series are amazing, and while the first book isn't the best one in either series, they get much better as the books go on.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Well, there are two, but they sound a lot like the answer to the last question, and they'd be the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Colleen Hoover. I'd heard really good things about her book Hopeless even though it was published last year, so I was very glad I discovered this author.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Doomed by Tracy Deebs.Not really a different genre, but this book had a lot of gaming in it, and I don't really game, so I wasn't sure about it. I also started reading the New Adult genre this year, and at first it felt out of my comfort zone, but I've learned to love it!
 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Cress by Marissa Meyer. This entire series has somehow gotten better with each book, and even though I was school and couldn't read it in a couple days like a wanted to, whenever I did get to pick it up, it was so hard to put it down.
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Again, Cress by Marissa Meyer. Like I said, I read a lot of books this year that were part of a series, so it's hard to say. But I think I'm going to have to buy a copy since I borrowed an ARC, and I'll probably end up reading it again. Especially since I haven't reviewed it yet...
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Check out my post about my favorite covers. I couldn't pick just one, and since I made a post about it, I figured I should just give you guys that.
11. Most memorable character in 2013? 
Captain Carswell Thorne. We got to see so many sides of this amazing character in Cress, and his antics and loyalty and sexiness truly made him memorable.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Had I read Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi this year, it'd be that book because her prose is so lyrical. But John Green's writing is a very close second, and so I definitely have to pick this book.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 
The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis. This book made me so distressed that, when I tried to sleep after finishing it, I couldn't and needed to write a poem to get all of my feelings out, which I hadn't done in months.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout & The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I waited way too long to read both of these, even though they weren't published that long ago.


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
Well this is a hard one, so I've chosen multiple:
Allegiant: "I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last."
Deity: "'I can’t keep pretending that I don’t want this – that I don’t want you. I can’t. Not after what happened to you. It thought… I thought I’d lost you, Alex, forever. And I would’ve lost everything. You are my everything.'" 
The Bitter Kingdom: "It would destroy me to have you just a little." 
Sweet Peril: "I was more myself with you during those three days than I’ve ever been with anyone in my life. It’d be easier if I could be fake with you, but you bring out everything in me, little Ann. All of it." 
Hopeless: "The moment my lips touch yours, it will be your first kiss. Because if you've never felt anything when someone's kissed you, then no one's ever really kissed you. Not the way I plan on kissing you." 
Cress: "He froze, becoming stone still. As the hover climbed the hill to the palace, his shoulders sank, and he returned his gaze to the window. 'She's me alpha,' he murmured, with a haunting sadness in his voice.Alpha.Cress leaned forward, propping her elbows on her knees, 'Like the star? ''What star?'She stiffened, instantly embarrassed, and scooted back from him again. 'Oh. Um. In a constellation, the brightest star is called the alpha. I thought maybe you meant that she's...like...your brightest star.' Looking away, she knotted her hands in her lap, aware that she was blushing furiously now and this beast of a man was about to realize what an over-romantic sap she was. But instead of sneering or laughing, Wolf sighed, 'Yes,' he said, his gaze climbing up to the full moon that had emerged in the blue evening sky. 'Exactly like that.'" 
The Fault in Our Stars: "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."
16. Shortest & longest book you read In 2013?
Shortest: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Longest: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Probably the end of Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood. I was so distraught over what happened, but I don't know anyone that's read the series up to this point so I had no one to complain to!
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romance: There are far too many romantic relationships that I loved, so I'll give a list. Aidan and Alex from the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Adrian and Sydney from the Bloodlines series, Will and Ellie from Shadows in the Silence by Courtney Allison Moulton, Katie and Daemon from Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Elisa and Hector from The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson, Kaidan and Anna from Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins, Sky and Holder from Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, Thorne and Cress from Cress by Marissa Meyer, Hazel and Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously
Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This isn't a recommendation from just one person, but basically everyone that had read it was recommending it to everyone. Also Allegiant by Veronica Roth. When the ending was spoiled for me and I read how much other people hated the ending, I really didn't want to read it, but a friend of mine from high school told me to ignore the reviews and that it's good. And I'm glad I did.
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Definitely paranormal. It's kind of my thing... Which is weird because, even though I'm writing a fantasy book, they don't hold my attention as much as paranormal romances do.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Aidan from the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, hands down! It took me forever to start this series, but I'm glad I didn't start it until this year because then I got to make Aidan my newest fictional crush for this year. I would have also said Adrian from the Bloodlines series, but we already met him in the Vampire Academy series.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Pivot Point by Kasie West & The Collector by Victoria Scott. I couldn't pick just one because I love both of these, but for different reasons.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The world from The Bitter Kingdom. I've loved every single setting in this series, and since I love snow, the setting in the final book made me very happy.
25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
The Collector by Victoria Scott. Dante Walker is a really fun character POV to read from, and that's the main reason why this entire book was so fun to read.
26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
I've got three that made me sob, like full-on sob: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and Allegiant by Veronica Roth
27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson & Silence in the Shadows by Courtney Allison Moulton. Barely anyone knows about these series and it makes me so sad because I love them so much!

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 
Sadly, I was really lame with my blogging this year, so I didn't really find any new blogs :(
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 
Even though I didn't enjoy Unravel Me as much as Shatter Me, I really enjoyed my own review of the book. This is such a weird question because I never write a review thinking about it being my favorite or not, I just write what I'm feeling.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Probably my Tips for Book Blogging Beginners.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Again, I've been really bad at looking at other people's blogs, so I have no answer for this...
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I went to a few wonderful signings this year, even ones where I got to meet authors I hadn't before! Another event (but it was virtual instead) that was really fun was my stop on the Authors are Rockstars tour where I interviewed Jeri Smith-Ready!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I don't really have one. Not only did I fail a little at blogging near the end of the year, but I also got nowhere near my goal of reading for this year. There really is no best moment, sadly.
7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Author's are Rockstars tour stop!
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
Pretty much all my reviews, which are really the point of the blog.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I got nothing... maybe the Facebook pages of authors and publishers?
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Sadly, no. I didn't complete my Goodreads goal, and with my other reading challenges, I completed a good amount but not all of them.

1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number one priority in 2014?
Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi. I got a review copy a while ago, but just haven't gotten to it. And I know it comes out in 2014, but I really wanted to read it when I first got the review copy.
2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
This is a tough one... I actually wrote a whole post about it, so maybe check that one out. But most of all? I'd have to say Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.
3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?
Defy by Sarah B. Larson looks interesting and I've heard good things.
4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
Again, so many, and they're part of that post I talked about a few questions up.
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?
Read more! I'll be graduating in January, so hopefully, after that, I'll be able to read a lot more. I'm also hoping to blog more, but I get the feeling I just won't be blogging as much as I used to. I have my senior year of college to finish up and I'm really trying to finish my book soon. I'll let you know for sure when I figure it out :)

How was your 2013? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.