Wednesday, December 25, 2013

2013 Top Ten of YA Day 3: Authors

This is a new piece I added to my Top Ten of YA pie. We all have our favorite authors, but they change from year to year. All of these authors have written amazing books and have brought to life these amazing stories. What would we do without them?! Here are my favorite authors of this year:
This lady is crazy! I feel like all she does is write and write! One of things that really made her one of my favorite authors this year though, besides finishing one of my favorite series, she also self-published. I know it only got the recognition it got so quickly because she had a significant following before that, but it just goes to show that she has true talent, and as a writer, it's nice to see one of my favorite authors wiggling her way into a difficult market.

Richelle Mead
Another crazy lady who writes a lot. Not only is she publishing her Bloodlines series less than a year apart with each book, she's also writing an adult series where I believe she's doing the same thing. On top of that, her Vampire Academy series, which I loved, has had trailers for the movie come out, and while I'm not sure how it'll turn out, she's been one busy woman.

Courtney Allison Moulton
The Angelfire series is one of my favorites, and at the end of last year, I co-hosted a read-a-long with this series. I wish this was being made into a movie or maybe a TV series but sadly I don't think it's gotten enough recognition. I was very sad to see this series go, but I'm so happy that she worked hard on an ending that was partially heart-breaking and mostly satisfying.

Cassandra Clare
She's been a busy bee too! She finished a beloved series in a way that left no more room for add-ons, and the first book in my favorite series ever got made into a movie! While it didn't do so well, I enjoyed it and I know they'll work harder to make the second one amazing. Also, the audio CD of the 5th book (which I actually won) got me through some tough drives when I was still driving to work.

Marissa Meyer
I don't know how she does it, but every book in her Lunar Chronicles series is better than the one before it! Cress, even though it doesn't come out until next year, was phenomenal and went beyond my expectations. It's very difficult to make the sequels better than the first, but somehow Meyer has managed to enchant us all with her fantastical dytopian retellings.

Veronica Roth
Had I not read Allegiant, she wouldn't have made the list. The ending of Allegiant was spoiled for me, so I was loathe to read it and actually had to stop reading it to finish a book for a blog tour. But I ended up reading most of it in one day. It was better than Insurgent, which I thought was way below the bar that Divergent had set, and I understood why she did it. The world of Divergent is not a forgiving one. I can understand why people were mad about it, but I guess it's because I've known some semblance of loss unlike many teens that would have read it. So, my point is that I get it. I think she took a big risk doing what she did, and in my eyes she succeeded. If this had been a duology, it might have been the best series I've ever read.

Rae Carson
I LOVE her Fire and Thorns series, but sadly not many people know about it. She's another author that took a big risk, but it was in the first book of the series. And I knew I was going to love it until the end. Besides, she created Hector, who is just beyond-words amazing, and a very strong heroine in Elisa. I was very sad to see this series end, but I can't wait to see what else she come out with.

How can you not have the creator of Kaidan Rowe on this list? Another book boyfriend high on my list. But I also have to give kudos to her for writing a sequel that I enjoyed nearly as much as the first book and for putting an amazing spin on something so simple as angels and demons (mostly demons, but you know what I mean). Also, did I mention Kai?

John Green
I finally, FINALLY, read The Fault in Our Stars, and my life will never be the same. I know when I go see the movie that I will just be balling my eyes out. I sobbed in the book, and seeing it on screen is going to be nearly impossible. John Green is also just a great person and really funny, and after reading TFiOS, I followed him on Facebook and really enjoy his posts. This man has seriously decimated the world's Kleenex supply, and for that, we thank him.

Amy Plum
Her Revenants series is one of my favorites and the last book came out this year. I'm very sad that the series is over, but I already have a review copy for her next published book and I'm excited to see how good it'll be. I also have to appreciate her ability to be a writer in France getting her work published here and so widely accepted and loved.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.