Friday, October 11, 2013

With All My Soul (Soul Screamers #7) by Rachel Vincent: review


Goodreads rating: 4.39
Paperback, 377 pages
Published March 26th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Series: Soul Screamers #7
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

What does it mean when your school is voted the most dangerous in America? It's time to kick some hellion butt...

After not really surviving her junior year (does "undead" count as survival?), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to find a way to turn the incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity against one another in order to protect her friends and finish this war, once and forever.


But then she meets Wrath and understands that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. And when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realizes she can't save everyone she loves without risking everything she has...
Spoilers from books #1-6

I wanted to like this book so much more than I actually did. You have to imagine that, after so many books, things have built up to a breaking point and then final book is really just meant to wrap everything up while keeping you entertained. It turned out that I felt like this series should have been over around book 5. I've not made it a secret that I was and still am team Nash. I never liked Tod the way you're supposed to when the MC is in love with him. But I never felt anything towards Tod except possible distaste. I think he's way more of an asshat consistently than Nash has ever been. Nash did some unforgivable things, and so I can see why things turned out the way they did where Kaylee ended up with Tod and Nash with Sabine, but I'm not happy about it. And I think it really festered in this one because it seemed like not a lot happened in the first three-fourths of this book. We did a lot of waiting... and waiting. This final installment seemed to drag. And while there were things happening, it wasn't nearly as exciting as the other books had been. I was hoping for an explosive ending like so many other series that have lasted this long (Harry Potter comes to mind...). But more than that, this book wasn't up to the usual standards of a Soul Screamers novel.

I did like the newly added element of Emma being in another girl's body and not being able to live her old life and have to get used to a new body (which freaks me out a bit just typing it). Emma was totally justifiable in all her thoughts and actions when it came to her impatience with it all. One of the things that Vincent is the best at is capturing true human emotions through these very strange and paranormal happenings. On that note, I loved the addition of the Wrath demon, Ira. He added a very interesting but integral part to this final installment, and I think this book would have been both darker and lighter without him. He forced Kaylee to make Bella-status sacrifices/decisions. And we know how self-sacrificing Kaylee is already. But she just wants to be done with all the other demons that are out for her blood, and one in particular. The relationships kind of came together, which was okay, but could have been left a little more open-ended. That's what I loved so much about City of Glass by Cassandra Clare; some things were resolved (the ones we wanted most), but not until the very end of the book. And a lot of things were left to the unknown. Admittedly, she addressed them in the subsequent books that came after because she decided to write three more, but you get my point. This one ended too well, especially after all the heart-tearing-out Vincent put us through during this entire series. Still, I enjoyed this one for the most part and I can't wait to see what Vincent comes up with next!

Only those who have read the first books in the series, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.