Monday, September 16, 2013

Fang Girl by Helen Keeble: review


Goodreads rating: 3.73
Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 11th 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Genre: YA paranormal satire

Things That Are Destroying Jane Greene’s Undead Social Life Before It Can Even Begin:

1) A twelve-year-old brother who’s convinced she’s a zombie.
2) Parents who are begging her to turn them into vampires.
3) The pet goldfish she accidentally turns instead.
4) Weird superpowers that let her rip the heads off of every other vampire she meets.(Sounds cool, but it doesn’t win you many friends.)
5) A psychotic vampire creator who’s using her to carry out a plan for world domination.

And finally:
6) A seriously ripped vampire hunter who either wants to stake her or make out with her. Not sure which.

Being an undead, eternally pasty fifteen-year-old isn’t quite the sexy, brooding, angst-fest Jane always imagined....

Helen Keeble’s riotous debut novel combines the humor of Vladimir Tod with Ally Carter’s spot-on teen voice. With a one-of-a-kind vampire mythology and an irresistibly relatable undead heroine, this uproarious page-turner will leave readers bloodthirsty for more.

I've been grueling over the rating of this one, and decided on 4/5. The main reason for that was the fact that it was British humor, which I love! I picked up this book because I was craving some awesome vampireness. While it did have vampires and moments of awesomeness, I'd have to say this book was pretty much all fluff. There were times when it could have gotten serious and it didn't. In fact, this book had so much fluff that I'm having trouble writing a review. I think I may have been in the wrong state of mind too, because what I wanted was a vampire book like Vampire Academy or even Twilight. But this humorous satire written all over it and while I usually love those books, I just wasn't in the right mood. Jane was a funny character, but I think the character development shone through with her family. I loved the little brother, and her parents who were understanding, but also totally freaking out over their daughter becoming a vampire. I mean, what parents wouldn't be freaking out? But one of the things that Keeble addressed is what it would be like for a girl to become a vampire in our current world. She is literally a fang girl; she even blogs about vampires! So it was nice to see a very modern take on what it would be like to be a vampire in our current technologically-advanced world.

The romance was interesting, mostly because there isn't much of one even though there are two guys in the picture. I never quite liked Ebon because he was such a stereotypical vampire. I know that's the point, but I still felt myself being annoyed by him. I kept telling myself that this was the guy she was meant to be with at the end of the novel because the synopsis doesn't really say much. And then Van comes along, and I'm like, "Hello, seriously ripped vampire hunter!" This book is also truly meant for young adults. Jane is fifteen years old, and that's really who this audience is for. I'm twenty-two and still love to read YA. But this read like a tween book. Not a bad tween book, but, really, what tween book is amazing when you're older? This gave readers of vampire novels a dose of reality too, though. It turns out that being a vampire isn't all its cracked up to be. It's not all flowers and rainbows and blood. Making enemies seems to come with the territory for being a vampire, but Jane is more of in the wrong place at the wrong time and ends up being involved with a rogue vampire, chased some old vampires, and, of course, vampire hunters. I think I just have a soft spot for vampire hunters because of Buffy (hunter, slayer; same thing), which is why I loved Van. So, it's not that I didn't like this book. I loved the humor. It ended quite abruptly though, which I didn't like. I felt like too many things were left to chance. I've been hoping for a sequel!

Lovers of British humor, satires, and vampires!

 

1 comment:

  1. It's hard when a book is really different in tone than what you are expecting. It can really affect your reaction to the book. I have this in my TBR pile somewhere. It looks cute but good to know I should expect lighter fare.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.