Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I'm NOT Rereading City of Bones Before Seeing the Movie

I've been discussing with one of my friends who has also enjoyed this series about whether I want to reread City of Bones before the movie comes out in August. And I've decided the answer is a resounding no. This is why:
  • I've said multiple times that I've worked hard to put books and their subsequent movies into separate categories. I'm going to have to work even harder to keep these two separate for this movie because I love this book SO MUCH (it's scary how much I love this book and these characters and this amazing world).
  • Rereading it would make me analyze every scene, every gesture, every line. I want to enjoy this movie.
  • I've already reread it a few times. I remember vaguely everything that happens, so it seems pointless.


I've been jaded by every movie based off a book that's ever come out. But here's how I figure it: I haven't read the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I know, lame sauce), yet the movies are amazing even though I've heard that they combined the books weirdly into the movies. If true LOTR fans can accept that, while the movies aren't in the order the books are, the movies are still iconic and extremely well done, then I can try to accept that City of Bones won't be perfect. The same goes for the Harry Potter. There were some things that had to be changed and skipped over to fit it in the allotted time and keep good flow in the movie, but I get that. And for City of Bones, I'm just going to have to accept it for what it is: an ADAPTATION of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

That being said, I cannot wait to see this movie! I know I'll still fall in love with Jace and that I'll feel Simon's love for Clary even if she doesn't. I know I'm going to appreciate the magic of this world that the production company has brought to life. I know I'm going to enjoy this movie!

Are you going to read/reread City of Bones before seeing the movie? Let me know in the comments!



3 comments:

  1. I plan on reading it, but its been sitting on my shelf FOREVER and I've never picked it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread it in March after watching the trailer a few times, I couldn't help it. Like you, I try to keep the movie and book separate (because I'm always overanalysing the movie the first time I watch it) but sometimes if I do reread the book before the movie I try to do it months ahead of time to give me some space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! Rereading will just cause me to analyze too much and I want to enjoy it, if possible!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.