Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover: review


Goodreads rating: 4.55
ebook, 327 pages
Published December 19th 2012
Series: Hopeless #1
Genre: Mature YA contemporary
Source: For review from the publisher

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


This book features intense situations, sex and language.

I'm really not even sure how to start a review for this book. At first you think it's all a bit of light fun, but this book is a wolf in sheep's clothing and I was Little Red Riding Hood. I don't feel like I'll be able to write a review that truly gives this book justice because there's so much that you don't know starting this book, and what you do know at the end are things you can never unlearn. When we meet Sky, she's pretty carefree. She lives with her mother and doesn't know her father. There are parts of her earlier years that she can't really remember, but that's normal for kids, and it's never bothered her. She's had a pretty decent life, although she has a bit of an attitude (which was endearing from our point of view) and good humor, and then she meet Holden. He's a lot like her, but he has way more going on and his reputation definitely precedes him. She knows he's trouble, but she just can't see to stay away. There's a connection with him that she's never felt for any other guy (not that she hasn't been with other guys, though now all the way), so she's taking so many more precautions than with any other guy. But is it worth it? Is he worth it? And what's with the Hopeless tattoo on his arm?

The romance was intense, just like the rest of this book. Hope has never felt very much of anything with the other guys she's been with, and she has a reputation as both a slut and a tease. But when Holder comes along, he promises that she will feel EVERYTHING. And, oh boy, does she. There is this long sequence where he does as much as you can with clothes on but without once kissing her. I found myself fanning myself more than a couple times reading the beginning of this book. But then things start to get really serious, and while there are still a few hot moments, they're more tainted by everything that happens. Luckily, Hoover gives us enough in the beginning to make up for it. Well, not make up for it, but at least the book has a good balance. There's just so much that I can't say. I wish I could, but, like I said, there's so much that happens after the first half of the book. But the whole time, Holder is there for Hope and Hope is there for Holder. This was a story of redemption and healing yourself when you need to, but knowing when you need other people to help you. It's also a lot about forgiveness and knowing when to forgive and when to forget. This book is a lot about forgetting and remembering. This book completely gutted me and ate me alive. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Wow, where to start. It's because of these spoilers that my review is not longer. So, who is Sky, really? Well, her real name is Hope. She was "kidnapped" by her father's sister because her father is a child rapist and raped Hope after her mother died. Holder is actually Hope's old next door neighbor when she still lived with her father, and his sister who killed herself was also raped by Hope's father and she never told anyone. It was part of he reason she killed herself. I know, it's cray, and if you're reading this, you've already read the book so you know all this but I just couldn't believe how crazy this book got. And then Hope's dad kills himself too. When that happened, I thought of that line from Anchorman, "Well that escalated quickly."

Mature young adults who love crazy twists and contemporaries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.