Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dead Silence (The Body Finder #4) by Kimberly Derting: review


Goodreads rating: 4.03
Hardcover, Signed, 389 pages
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperCollins
Series: The Body Finder #4
Genre: YA romantic thriller
Source: Bought

Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.

Spoilers from books 1-3!

This was a very satisfying ending to this series. I've always loved these books, and despite them sometimes having some of the same basic plot points, I never got bored. In fact, these books have never failed to freak me out because of the fact that the villains aren't paranormal like Violet's power is but completely real, and Derting's uncanny ability to make me become swept up into Violet's emotions and even the emotions of the killer. That's another thing that makes this series so unique to me; we get to see what the killer thinks and knows. And in a way, this makes us feel bad for the killer, and that really took an interesting turn in this book. The killer is a young man who we find out has had a bad past. A really bad past. Now, he has this separate "family" that he keeps drugged up so that they don't remember the things he makes them do. It used to be just stealing, but then they took it too far. And that's where Violet comes in. She still can't control her urges when it comes to her gift. She's been taking medication from the head of her team that blocks out the echos and the imprints. The problem is that she has her own imprint now because she had to kill the killer that had her captured in the book before. And she decides to keep that bottled up too.

The romance was interesting. I love Jay. He's been a constant for Violet and he's so sweet and protective. I can't even explain how awesome he is and how understanding he is, but there's also only so many lies a guy can take. When it comes to relationships, lies never help, and especially when it comes to something as important as Violet's gift. She can't go it alone, but she's been getting the help of her paranormal team, including Rafe. Rafe and another one of the team that Violet hasn't met come to Violet's school, and all this while she's trying to distance herself from all of them. But she also can't deny that they're kind of her people. And Jay is not. Actually, this isn't as much of a crisis for her because Jay has known about her gift for so long that he's always been in the know. Now Violet is keeping him out of a lot of things that are going on with her, and that's not doing anything good for their relationship.

We know from the prologue that someone close to Violet is going to die. I'm not going to tell you who it is because that would defeat the purpose, but it's still not what it seems. Violet's team isn't what it seems either, and this book really dug up the past of the organization and who might be behind it. We also find out there was something like it years ago when Violet's grandmother was young. There's a lot more of Chelsea in this one too, and honestly, she kind of annoys me. I'm not sure why, but she was really nosy and all while Violet is dealing with an identity crisis, problems with Jay, and of course trying to track down the killer. I know Derting just wanted to complicate everything by adding the element of Chelsea knowing about Violet's gift, but she did more hurt than help and it ends up not turning out very well for her. But besides all that, I loved this book. It kept me up at night like this series has always done, and Derting added that extra element of her grandmother and the corruptness of the organization. Long story short, I love this series and I loved this final installment.

Those who have read the rest of the series and are looking for a satisfying but slightly open-ended conclusion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.