- Instalove: while this doesn't always turn me off right away, I know that I'm definitely not going to like the book as much. There's definitely such a thing as attraction at first sight, but love at first sight almost never happens. Sorry to burst your bubble.
- Terrible dialogue: there are a lot of books that sometimes have awkward moments when a particular person is speaking or they just missed something in editing. But, either way, bad dialogue annoys me and there is no way I'm going to like a book if the dialogue is something no one has ever said in real life, EVER.
- Annoying love interests: this is multifaceted. If a guy falls head over heels for the girl and basically loses his manliness, I hate it. If he's overly abusive (verbally I mean, so he's basically being an ober asshat) and doesn't make up for it with enough sweetness, I hate it. If the guy is kind of a pansy and doesn't stand up for himself or anyone else, I hate it. I could go on.
- MC's that can't take care of themselves: I understand if a girl is a damsel in distress at first because she probably isn't used to being thrown into a new more dangerous world. At some point during the first book, though, they should at least be training or something. Maybe I watch too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but you can't rely on someone else to save you. If the MC wants not only themselves but also the love interest to say alive, then they need to learn how to take care of themselves.
- Lack of female best friend and family: Female friendships are extremely underrated, and while this isn't a deal breaker, I do wish it was in more YA. Also, family is very important for a character's sanity, and they also work as road blocks and create strife.
That's all I can think of!
Do you have any deal breakers? Let me know in the comments!