Monday, July 22, 2013

15 Day Blogger Challenge~Day 14

Today's topic is deal breakers, and I'm pretty sure that pertains to book plots. I have a bunch of pet peeves, but there are some things I just can't handle.

  • Instalove: while this doesn't always turn me off right away, I know that I'm definitely not going to like the book as much. There's definitely such a thing as attraction at first sight, but love at first sight almost never happens. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • Terrible dialogue: there are a lot of books that sometimes have awkward moments when a particular person is speaking or they just missed something in editing. But, either way, bad dialogue annoys me and there is no way I'm going to like a book if the dialogue is something no one has ever said in real life, EVER.
  • Annoying love interests: this is multifaceted. If a guy falls head over heels for the girl and basically loses his manliness, I hate it. If he's overly abusive (verbally I mean, so he's basically being an ober asshat) and doesn't make up for it with enough sweetness, I hate it. If the guy is kind of a pansy and doesn't stand up for himself or anyone else, I hate it. I could go on.
  • MC's that can't take care of themselves: I understand if a girl is a damsel in distress at first because she probably isn't used to being thrown into a new more dangerous world. At some point during the first book, though, they should at least be training or something. Maybe I watch too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but you can't rely on someone else to save you. If the MC wants not only themselves but also the love interest to say alive, then they need to learn how to take care of themselves.
  • Lack of female best friend and family: Female friendships are extremely underrated, and while this isn't a deal breaker, I do wish it was in more YA. Also, family is very important for a character's sanity, and they also work as road blocks and create strife.
That's all I can think of!


Do you have any deal breakers? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. agree that i do wish there was more family and friendship in ya novels instead of just romance (and i love romance). i hate bad dialogue, too! it's the worst when it sounds like the writer was just trying to sound "young" or cool and it just sounds fake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh I hate instalove! And I totally forgot about fake dialogue. Nothing bothers me more than completely unrealistic conversations!

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.