Monday, July 8, 2013

15 Day Blogger Challenge~Day 1


Hey guys! So I just found out about this today, and it's a 15 day blogger challenge so that you guys can learn all about me. Which I know you wanted, because I'm totally awesome. Right, moving on. So today is about making 15 book-related confessions. If you want to participate, just go to goodbooksandgoodwine.com Ready?

  1. I like to say the cover doesn't matter, but it totally does. I almost didn't pick up City of Bones because of this. You would think I would've learned my lesson by now, but, what can I say, I'm shallow when it comes to books.
  2. I'm afraid of sequels. The part of me that really wants to know what happens next is equal to the part of me that's afraid that the book will be terrible.
  3. I use the Goodreads rating as a crutch. If I look at a book in the store, I always look it up on Goodreads to see what the overall rating is. I know this is a bad habit, but I can't help it.
  4. It physically hurts me to not finish a book. Earlier this year, I didn't finish a book for the first time (a DNF means I'm never going to come back to this book, meaning I've put a couple books aside but I plan to finish them eventually) and it really hurt.
  5. The Harry Potter books really got me into reading. I know that's not much of a confession because most people have said the same thing, but words cannot express the beauty of this series. Being a writer, I have so much respect for the world-building.
  6. On that note, being a writer sometimes creates problems for me as a reader. I'm constantly going over what I would have done differently, especially for a book that's not very good. It's debilitating at times, but I think the fact that I'm a writer also gives me more drive to finish it because I have faith that the author found a way to get better.
  7. I don't really have problems with choosing a guy in the love triangle, which is why I often hate them. One true love is more my thing. I like when there's a little tension between another character, but otherwise I hate love triangles because I choose really quickly who I want and sometimes it's not the one the MC ends up with.
  8. On the subject of boys, I'm actually pretty picky. Jace Herondale is like perfect for me: he's hot (always a must) and he's kind of an asshat, but that more vulnerable side that loves Clary and wants to be a better person than he believes himself to be is what puts it over the edge. A lot of times, guys will be too mean with not enough vulnerability, and so I can't. Just can't.
  9. I look at my shelves a lot and know I need to stop buying books, but I can't. I'm losing room, but there are so many sequels coming out that I'm excited for, so I've been mostly buying those.
  10. I feel really guilty about my ebook TBR pile. I know I have a lot of review books both from Netgalley and Edelweiss, but I just don't have the time and then I get bogged down so I have to step out of the review book area for a while, which puts me even further back.
  11. I love the feel of real books. I wouldn't even read ebooks if some of them weren't free and a lot of them weren't review books.
  12. The thing that bothers me most is crappy dialogue. If I have to say to myself, "No one talks that way, or has ever talked that way, EVER!" more than ten times, then I'l probably hate the book, no matter how good the rest of the book is.
  13. When it comes to books and their movie counterparts, I've had to learn to think of them as separate entities, but it's hard when I love the book and I'm totally invested in it. But I have to put my opinions aside and just enjoy it as a separate work of art.
  14. My favorite genre within YA is still paranormal romance set in contemporary society. I just feel like very few authors can do it right. Not even I can do it right.
  15. My boyfriend can always tell when I don't like a book because I don't read it on our down time together.

Can you relate to any of these? Let me know in the comments!




5 comments:

  1. I always look up books on Goodreads. Especially in the stores haha! Also my husband knows too when I don't like a book!
    Brittany @ Spare Time book blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3, I kinda do that as well except it's not the GR rating, it's my "go-to" reviewers that I check before deciding if I want to read it. #12, Yes yes and yes. Dialog is definitely one of my pet peeves. I cannot stand cheesy dialog or when the villain explains every detail of his nefarious plot, his motivations, and how he carried it out just in time for the MC to stop him in an implausible plot twist. Yeah. That.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been picking up a lot of books that are a part of series lately, but I know what you mean about being afraid of sequels. It is SO disappointing when the 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) is not as good as the first!

    Oh, as someone who isn't a writer, I never thought of writers reading books and having unique problems but it totally makes sense!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sequels can be terrifying! Especially when you are sooooo invested in the previous book and it's so well written, and then you read the sequel and it turns out to be super disappointing. I absolutely feel you on that.

    I judge books by their covers too and totally need to stop doing that as I miss out on some great books.

    I like that you mentioned liking characters who are alpha with vulnerability -- I think that vulnerability needs to be there for the romance to work, at least for me.

    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always look up stuff on goodreads, too. it might not make or break my decision but i like to know what others think, esp some of the people whose opinions i trust.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.