Saturday, June 1, 2013

May Wrap-Up

I had a pretty good month book-wise this month. I went to a lot more signings than I usually do... meaning two. But I met a few authors that I hadn't before, like Shannon Messenger, Suzanne Young, and Kimberly Derting (who I technically met at RT Convention when it was in LA, but I didn't really get to talk to her). I also went to the launch party for Amy Tintera's Reboot (who I'd met at ALA unknowingly) and got to meet the author of Belle Epoque which is coming out soon and Leigh Bardugo again, who's just so sweet and hilarious. I plan on going to one of Leigh's signings, but I'm not sure I can make it to the launch party as I'll still be in school, prepping for finals.

Speaking of school, I'll be a senior in college next year! A lot of my friends from high school are graduating this year because I spent an extra year in community college, but I'm really happy for them and I can't wait until it's my turn. Hopefully, I will have gotten an agent and started the publication of my novel by then. At least, that's my plan.

Other bookish news for the blog is that I started a new feature called Harry Potter Wednesday (find the first post HERE). You know about my obsession with Harry Potter, but I've finally decided to actually re-read the books. I'm almost done with the first one since it's so much smaller than the others. But what I'm also planning on buying (and possibly have given to me as a gift for good grades *wink*) is the signature editions of the Harry Potter books (if you just look up the Harry Potter signature editions on Google images you can find their gloriousness) and the UK versions of the series. I've amazingly found both on Amazon and I'm hoping to convince my dad that I need this. Because, honestly, I will obsess over it until I have it... ha?

Also, I changed the buttons a little again, but still the basic idea.

REVIEWED

READ
Altered (Altered #1) by Jennifer Rush
Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover

Sorry guys, I totally failed this month, but once school gets out I'll be doing much better!



Icons Tour, with Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tahereh Mafi, Ransom Riggs, Marie Lu and Alyson Noel

Summer Lovin' Tour, with Kimberly Derting, Shannon Messenger, Suzanne Young, Sarah Ockler, Jessi Kirby and Morgan Matson

Launch Party for Reboot by Amy Tintera

So I've just decided to kind of squish this into my monthly wrap-up here because I don't feel like I need to write a separate post about it. On Thursday, I went to go see The Great Gatsby with my boyfriend, and I loved it. The thing is that I knew it wasn't going to be the same as the book. No movie ever is! But going into it, I felt that I would enjoy this director's interpretation of it, and I did. The acting was phenomenal, the imagery was dazzling and encompassed what Gatsby's life had become so perfectly: fast cars and fast women. But Gatsby was never with any of those women; he was always waiting for Daisy. Leonardo DiCaprio needs to win an Oscar, stat. Every performance he gives is phenomenal and him as Jay Gatsby made me fall in love with the romantic side of him from Romeo + Juliet and Titanic. It helps that he's still really hot. Carrie Mulligan was a perfect Daisy. Completely vapid at times, but it's just a front that she's put up for so long that it's part of who she is. I hated everything about Tom Buchanan (in the way that the actor did a phenomenal job in playing him). I also loved that they didn't skip over the imagery and significance of both the green light at the end of the dock and the oculist billboard with the glasses that we all had to write at least a short analysis about in high school if not a five-paragraph essay.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It's not the best representation of the book, but separately it was stunning.


Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.



How was your May? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a great month I wish i could go to signings, well done.Jodie @ Aussie Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we just missed each other at the Summer Lovin signing, Nicole! I wanted to go to the one in Montrose but I couldn't make it that night! It's much closer to my home. Oh well. Hope all is going well with you and school. I'll have to catch you at another signing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.