Saturday, June 22, 2013

Altered (Altered #1) by Jennifer Rush: review


Goodreads rating: 4.08
Hardcover, 323 pages
Published January 1st 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: Altered #1
Source: Bought
Genre: YA paranormal contemporary

When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them. 

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.


I'm not sure why, but from the reviews I'd been reading, I had hyped this book up too much, and it fell slightly short. I loved the idea, mostly because there was no instalove (Anna and Sam, two of our main characters, had already spent a lot of time together before the book started) and it had a sort of sci-fi feel to it. Each boy is different, but they're all altered in some way. That's what Anna's father does; he runs tests on these four boys that the Branch has sanctioned. But Anna lives there in the house with them all, and so, every night, she's gone down to visit them. And every night, she's fallen more in love with Sam. This seemed strained to me a bit. I can see falling in love with someone when you see them all the time, but he never seemed all that appealing to me. He wasn't witty at all (one of the other guys was, but he was only her friend), and while he was shirtless a lot (always a plus), he kept to himself a lot and I didn't find myself attracted to him like Anna was. I'm hoping the author furthers that so I can see what she sees in him. But I appreciated all the other characters, and I was glad they were so different, while obviously similar in certain ways.

I don't have much to say in this review because, honestly, Sam wasn't that hot and the plot really doesn't seem to go that deep. We know from the beginning that Anna's dad works for the government, and so there was no mystery. I did love her dad though. He's specifically running more tests on the altered boys so that the Branch won't take them away. The problem is that they could come at any time and question what he's been doing and take the boys away and terminate them. It made you appreciate every single relationship that Anna had because they were all so precarious throughout the entire book. There wasn't a moment, even in the beginning, where Anna felt truly safe, and that made the plot very exciting. It seems like all I did was complain about this one, and for that I'm sorry. I really did enjoy it, especially when they had to go on the run. But like I said, I had really high expectations for this one because of all the great reviews I read, but I just didn't find myself being as invented in the characters, and especially the love interest, like I'd wanted. I wish I had more to say, but, like I said, there isn't much to the plot. I mean, I'm sure it will deepen significantly in the next book because there were a lot of hints to things that would come and big things that would be revealed, but this was all just a great setup for the rest of the series.

This book reminded me a little of Sweet Evil, except Sam wasn't nearly as hot as Kai. 



1 comment:

  1. I actually really enjoyed this one. But unlike you I went in reading it with no idea what it was about, or that it even existed until I picked it up at the library. I went in with no expectations and a open mind. Maybe that was the difference. I do see what you mean, when you say that Sam doesn't seem to attractive, and you don't know what Anna sees in him.
    But Altered also does have interesting qualities, for example when we find out about Anna and who she is, when we learn about her mom, and the boys' history and how they became a part of these experiments. Thanks for the awesome review (:

    Lisa
    Become Blogger of the Week!
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/p/blogger-of-week.html

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.