Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Unbreakable (Unraveling #2) by Elizabeth Norris: review


Goodreads rating: 4.33
ARC, 496 pages
Published April 23rd 2013 by Balzer + Bray
Series: Unraveling #2
Source: Back room in Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop
Genre: Dystopian Paranormal Romance

Four months after Ben disappeared through the portal to his home universe, Janelle believes she’ll never see him again. Her world is still devastated, but life is finally starting to resume some kind of normalcy. Until Interverse Agent Taylor Barclay shows up. Somebody from an alternate universe is running a human trafficking ring, kidnapping people and selling them on different Earths—and Ben is the prime suspect. Now his family has been imprisoned and will be executed if Ben doesn’t turn himself over within five days.

And when Janelle learns that someone she cares about—someone from her own world—has become one of the missing, she knows that she has to help Barclay, regardless of the danger. Now Janelle has five days to track down the real culprit. Five days to locate the missing people before they’re lost forever. Five days to reunite with the boy who stole her heart. But as the clues begin to add up, Janelle realizes that she’s in way over her head—and that she may not have known Ben as well as she thought. Can she uncover the truth before everyone she cares about is killed?

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM BOOK 1

SO GOOD! I loved Unraveling and was completely heartbroken when Ben had to leave at the end. Not only is the world left in a state of disaster, but Janelle has to learn to live without the boy she's known about nearly all her life that turned out to be an alien, and who she subsequently fell in love with. The thing I love about this series is that Norris gave us a novel in contemporary society with Unraveling, and then we're thrust into this post-apocalyptic nearly-dystopian world just after the quacks that rocked the world because of all that nasty portal-abusing business from book one. And even with all this going on, Janelle can't get Ben out of her head. She even sees one of his doppelgangers from her own planet: he looks just like Ben, but there are subtle differences that proves to Janelle that he's not her Ben (this plays a role later in the novel, which just about broke my heart!). But besides that, Janelle is mostly getting back to normal. Sadly, Janelle's life will never resemble normal ever again, especially when her not-best-friend Agent Barclay shows up, needing her help in a case where Ben is the prime suspect in a human trafficking ring. But she's also being watched by other agencies and Barclay isn't exactly welcome by them. He's not welcome much from Janelle either, but if it means finding Ben and proving his innocence, she'll do anything. Janelle has no idea how true the rumors are...

It takes a good chunk of the book to get to any romance, which is understandable because the first chunk is about missing him, the second chunk is about trying to find him, and the third chunk is trying to find out what the hell just happened. No, seriously. I was reading a part involving Ben and Janelle when they finally find each other (and really it's a no-brainer that they find each other again in this book so it's not really a spoiler) while I was on a plane and nearly made myself bleed from biting my lip hard so that I wouldn't cry in public. Their love story is just so heart-breaking, especially when Janelle has done everything to find him and he's made some mistakes that completely shocked both Janelle and I. They've never once had it easy, which also breaks my heart. And yet Ben was still one of the greatest parts of this book. Even when he wasn't there, Janelle felt like he was there in a part of her that was just waiting for him to come back into her life. Too bad it wasn't the way she imagined. The other part of this book that was really interesting was Barclay. I really grew to like him. He doesn't take crap from anyone, and with all the time he was spending with Janelle, I saw them forming a real bond. While I knew nothing was going to come of it, if Ben was out of the picture for some reason, I could really see Barclay stepping in and helping Janelle pick up the pieces.

This became about more than just the romance. When someone close to Janelle is also taken into the trafficking ring, she knows that she really doesn't have a choice but to go with Barclay. Janelle realizes that she can do some real good for the universe and even gets offered a job at the bureau that Barclay works for.  This book broke my heart, it made laugh and cry. I could not have been happier with a sequel. It reads almost like a TV series, because even though all these characters from the first book reappear again and their deeply intertwined with the arc of the series, there's a completely new story coming up in this one. It makes me wonder what new story we're going to get in the next book! I would seriously suggest reading this sequel. It's not often that I read a sequel that's even on par with the first book. Elizabeth Norris has really outdone herself with this series, and I'm loving every minute of it! On Goodreads it doesn't say anything about a third book, but if there isn't there are going to be a lot of angry Ben fans out there (myself included). 


Two things. First, I couldn't believe that Barclay had been killed! Like I said above, I really grew to love him as a main character in the story. But at least he went out the way he would have wanted to. Second, the part that I nearly burst into tears about was the part that Janelle walked in on Ben (seeing him for the first time on top of it all) with one of her own doppelgangers! The scene where she ran into that other Ben made so much more sense. Ben should have known it wasn't really Janelle. I still haven't quite forgiven him for that, as much as I love Ben and as much as he's apologized. If that happened with my boyfriend, that would honestly shatter my heart. Ben really knows Janelle too and has kept tabs on her for however long he's been on earth, and yet she's the one that recognizes the fake Ben? That made me so ANGRY!!!!! Okay, I'm done. Although, I am glad that Ben stayed with Janelle at the end this time. I wanted to pat his head and say good boy.


1 comment:

  1. I already wanted to read this so bad. Now I'm dying to. Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.