Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Harry Potter Wednesday (1)

I'm pretty excited about this new feature, guys. Basically I'm going to talk anything and everything Harry Potter. What brought this on is my obsession with the series, and I know there are those of you out there who are just as obsessed if not more obsessed than I am. I just started re-reading book one because I just couldn't help myself. Because of this, I'm going to be giving you a lot of fun facts about the books over the coming months (though I'm sure I'll sprinkle the movies in between books). This is going to be so AWESOME!!

These posts will likely have spoilers. If you haven't read the books or at least seen the movies, you're living under a rock, a Harry-Potter-hater (shun the non-believer!), or you don't live in a place where there's TV or internet so you're probably not even reading this post. Needless to say, there's no reason you shouldn't know everything that's gone on in all 7 books, but I still feel obligated to inform you that I'm going to hold nothing back.

Right now, I'm re-reading book 1, and I just finished chapter 4. Many of these "fun facts" are more about little things that they changed in the movie and therefore I totally forgot about them.

FUN FACTS:
  • The flying motorcycle that Hagrid is always using is actually borrowed from Sirius. He tells Dumbledore this when he brings baby Harry to Privet Drive.
  • The Deluminator that Dumbledore invented was not in fact called the Deluminator, at least not in that first pivotal scene where he uses it to douse the lights on Privet Drive the night Hagrid brings baby Harry. It's actually called a Put-Outer.
  • On the trip to the zoo, Dudley actually brings along one of his gang with him. Also, Dudley never falls into the tank and therefore doesn't get trapped, but I love that part of the movie so I'm glad they added it in.
  • The shack on the rock that Vernon takes them to in order to get away from the letters isn't the first place they try to go. There were a few more before that, and every time, one of the letters would find them.
  • Hagrid actually meant to turn Dudley into an entire pig, but said that, since Dudley was already too piggish, that the spell didn't change him completely and left only the tail.
  • Peeves, a poltergeist who terrorizes the students at Hogwarts, is never mentioned in the movies, but actually plays a pivotal role in the final book.
A PERSONAL TOUCH:
  • I could not for the life of me understand anything Hagrid was saying the first time I read this book, so I tended to skip over the parts he was speaking. As you can imagine, this started to become a problem.
  • I've actually had Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. And yes, the gross ones really do taste terrible. I had to spit the pepper, bogie, and vomit one out. I've also had the Chocolate Frogs. They're delicious, and I got Rowena Ravenclaw as my card!

I bet you all didn't remember all of this either, unless, of course, you've memorized the books, in which case, kudos! I'm not sure how often I'll be doing this feature, but I've had a lot of fun sharing with you guys the wonder that is Harry Potter!


4 comments:

  1. Best new feature I've come across. EVER.
    Though I did know all the fun facts, but thats because I've re-read the books a gajillion times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabbie! I've been wanting to re-read the books forever, and so I thought I should share with everyone what that's like.

      Delete
  2. you're so funny, nicole. i have some bertie botts beans but have never been brave enough to actually eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha try them! You just have to look up everyone you pick up. I got a lot of watermelon-flavored ones in my box and they're delicious!

      Delete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.