Right now, I'm re-reading book 1, and I just finished chapter 4. Many of these "fun facts" are more about little things that they changed in the movie and therefore I totally forgot about them.
- The flying motorcycle that Hagrid is always using is actually borrowed from Sirius. He tells Dumbledore this when he brings baby Harry to Privet Drive.
- The Deluminator that Dumbledore invented was not in fact called the Deluminator, at least not in that first pivotal scene where he uses it to douse the lights on Privet Drive the night Hagrid brings baby Harry. It's actually called a Put-Outer.
- On the trip to the zoo, Dudley actually brings along one of his gang with him. Also, Dudley never falls into the tank and therefore doesn't get trapped, but I love that part of the movie so I'm glad they added it in.
- The shack on the rock that Vernon takes them to in order to get away from the letters isn't the first place they try to go. There were a few more before that, and every time, one of the letters would find them.
- Hagrid actually meant to turn Dudley into an entire pig, but said that, since Dudley was already too piggish, that the spell didn't change him completely and left only the tail.
- Peeves, a poltergeist who terrorizes the students at Hogwarts, is never mentioned in the movies, but actually plays a pivotal role in the final book.
A PERSONAL TOUCH:
- I could not for the life of me understand anything Hagrid was saying the first time I read this book, so I tended to skip over the parts he was speaking. As you can imagine, this started to become a problem.
- I've actually had Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. And yes, the gross ones really do taste terrible. I had to spit the pepper, bogie, and vomit one out. I've also had the Chocolate Frogs. They're delicious, and I got Rowena Ravenclaw as my card!
I bet you all didn't remember all of this either, unless, of course, you've memorized the books, in which case, kudos! I'm not sure how often I'll be doing this feature, but I've had a lot of fun sharing with you guys the wonder that is Harry Potter!