Thursday, May 30, 2013

Crash (Crash #1) by Nicole Williams: review

Goodreads rating: 4.13
Paperback, 365 pages
Published December 18th 2012 by HarperCollins
Series: Crash #1
Source: Bought
Genre: YA contemporary romance

Jude Ryder and Lucy Larson are this generation's Romeo and Juliet: Explosive. Sizzling. Tragic.

A steamy summer encounter with bad boy Jude means trouble for Lucy. Her sights are set on becoming a ballerina, and she won't let anything get in her way . . . except Jude.

He's got a rap sheet, dangerous mood swings, and a name that's been sighed, shouted, and cursed by who knows how many girls.

Jude's a cancer, the kind of guy who's fated to ruin the lives of girls like Lucy—and he tells her so.

But as rumors run rampant and reputations are destroyed, Lucy's not listening to Jude's warning. Is tragedy waiting in the wings? This racy romance is hot, hot, hot!

Some bad language and adult situations

I officially need to write notes on the contemporary romance books I read. It's not that they all run together, but they're not as unique as paranormal or dystopian books because the world is always the same in the contemporary romances. Hence the word contemporary. Because of this, I will be giving another shorter review. First off, I loved how both of their names correlate with songs by The Beatles (although Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds is actually about the drug LSD while Hey Jude is just about a guy named Jude that let this girl go, but that's beside the point). This gave them a random connection that they both desperately needed to hold on to. They even meet in the way that I once imagined meeting a boy (one of my many fantasies in meeting a guy, which is totally not weird), and it's on a beach with Jude throwing the football with his guy friends and it comes right near Lucy. Super cliche, but sometimes cliche is really good. This was one of those moments I enjoyed in the plot. I also loved the realness of Lucy's dad's depression over losing her mom. Adults can make decisions too, and I think that's why Lucy wanted to look like she didn't care, because she knew her dad had checked out.

The one bad thing I have to say about this book is that it was over-the-top. Stuff like this doesn't happen in real high school life. There's a car chase after a dance, Jude being let onto the football team with basically no try out and a uniform already waiting for him, and a whole of a lot more randomness that I was in no way able to connect to my high school years. I went to a school with a lot of rich kids that liked doing the stuff that Jude and his "friends" have done just for fun, but this kid's life is f'd up! I seriously do see the attraction. Jude is beyond hot, and he's why this book got the full 4 apples. But there's a point where the bad boy gets way too cliche as the book progresses, and Jude is one of those characters. Lucy was ridiculous too. I know I was shyer than most high school girls, but Lucy literally does not give a f***. It sounds weird but she was too strong and to confident to be a high school girl. I think a part of my soul would have died if anyone had gotten that scandalous picture involving a lost earring. And while it was funny and embarrassing for us as readers, I can't imagine having that actually happen and basically shrugging it off. But still, even with all this, I found myself enjoying this book immensely. I've learned with YA that sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief, and the fact that this book was well-written as well as being a real riot at times bumped up the rating.

Young adults 17+ looking for a hot romance with a delicious bad boy and a bit of a cliche plot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.