Sunday, May 5, 2013

Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks #1) by Miranda Kenneally: review

Goodreads rating: 3.91
Kindle Edition, 281 pages
Published December 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire
URL: http://mirandakenneally.com/
Series: Hundred Oaks #1

ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


I really related to this book. I'm definitely one of the boys too: they're a lot less drama and just easier to hang out with sometimes. But I was also glad that Jordan also realized that she needed girl time. It's not as difficult in high school because boys haven't had the experience they do in college, which is why this book is so perfect. And why all YA books are so perfect when  it comes to the general innocence of teenagers. There's one thing that makes you really have to suspend your disbelief, which is that Jordan is a quarterback for a high school football team. I'm not trying to be sexist (I'm a sports-playing girl myself), but the fact is that she'd have to be way better than any guy out there to even try out for the team, and most coaches would still say no. I had a friend that was the kicker for her high school football team for a year, but kickers almost never get hurt and quarterbacks do all the time. But that's not an indicator of how much I enjoyed this book. It was a lot about brotherhood and how football really brings people together. Jordan's dad has never supported her playing football, even though her older brother is playing ball in college and he goes to more of his games than hers. My dad has always been the one to encourage me in sports, so I couldn't really relate here, but my mom is sort of that way. It's during a football practice that we first meet Ty Green, who is already making Jordan weak in the knees just by looking at him.

The romance was... interesting. At first, I was falling for Ty right along with Jordan. Kenneally wrote it in such a way that it seemed like they would be the main couple of the book, but just as Jordan started seeing some of Ty's flaws, so did I. There's another that's pretty much been there for Jordan all along and she was just too stupid to see it. On a completely separate note, I loved Henry! Even though he didn't completely steal my hart (even by the end), I liked him much more than the guy Ty turned out to be. This book was full of teenage awkwardness, which made it that much more real because let's face being a teenager is the most awkward faze of a person's life, which is what makes me love YA so much. Everyone is supposed to be awkward and innocent and utterly confused about what the other gender could possibly mean in anything they do. I mean, you don't really ever grow out of that last one, but it's really amplified in YA because they're experiencing the awkwardness and confusion for the first time. One of the things that annoyed me, though, is that when Jordan decided to have sex (and I won't tell you with which boy), it was completely underplayed. I don't understand that. Sex is a big deal, especially for teenagers. Maybe YA writers can't remember enough details of what it was like their first time since they've probably had it so many times after that they just sort of generalize it, but losing your virginity is a big deal!!!! Sorry, I got a little ranty there, but it just makes me mad how underplayed something a girl normally holds dear to her and saves it for someone really special is.

I liked the addition of Jordan's brother and her brother's college friend. He would always flirt with Jordan, which showed that even before Ty she wasn't undesirable. But it also just harmless flirtation, which is why she'd never had sex before. I was also glad for her brother because he was more encouraging about her football career than her father had ever been. He also gave great advice, considering her was a college boy, and he always wanted the best for his sister, and not a lot of people did. Even Ty wasn't completely accepting of who Jordan was. Henry got pretty close to it considering how long they've been friends, but Jordan's brother always had her back. Honestly, this did not completely meet my expectations. From the reviews I'd read, I was expecting it to be phenomenal, but it was just good. And the ending really left me wanting, and not in the good way because I know the other books in the "series" are just companion books and we won't get to be inside the heads and lives of these characters again except through other people. I was just unsatisfied with the ending of this book. Otherwise, I did enjoy it. It was a quick, enjoyable read that I finished in I think just a day! Definitely a YA contemporary to add to your TBR list.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.