Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions (11): Blog Maintenance

Do you have a blog? And if so, how often do you maintain it? What does maintaining your blog even mean? All these questions and more will be answered.

The first one's easy: of course I have a blog! That's not even a real question since you're obviously reading this post on said blog. That question was more for you all. And if the answer is yes, please continue. If it's no, then you should still continue because you never know when you're going to decide to make a blog and have keep up the maintenance for it.

I maintain my blog (AKA change a few things in the review archives or some HTML on the main page), nearly every day. When I post up a new review, I have to change the "Recent Antidotes" section on the sidebar to put that one in and bump one out. I also have to put it in the "Review Archive" page (which I'm admittedly more lax on because it's not on the main page). When I finish a book and start a new one, I have to change the picture and link under "Current Poison" as well as on Goodreads. Maintaining your blog means a lot of what I just said. You have to keep things current, otherwise you'll be showing a book that you finished a week or more ago as your current read, but you'll also have it in your upcoming reviews section (if you have such a thing), which is very confusing. I also do it because otherwise I feel weird about it not being current. But I look at other blogs and see stuff that I know has been there for months and it makes me feel like they just don't care about how people see their blog.

Although I feel like a book blog should be based purely on content, I know that's not really possible. There has to be something aesthetically pleasing about the blog or else I just kind of gloss over it, which is really sad, but I know that a lot of other people do it too. I love my blog design (most of it is done by Lisseth @ Read-A-Holicz!), but it took me a while to get here, and even then I had to have someone do it for me. And yet I couldn't be happier. I feel like I have something that's truly mine and completely unique, and while its not some fancy, uber-expensive full blog template design, it seems better because my designer also gave me some a blank design for my meme buttons so I can make whatever I want with it. I also did a few other things by myself and the fact that I was able to make my own impact on my blog as well as having it look semi-professional makes me happy.

One maintenance thing I'm really lacking on is my features page. I haven't been keeping those updated on the newest episodes of those features. But otherwise I usually stay very up to date with everything on the main page. I even made my own Goodreads challenge button thing because I was annoyed that the widget would sometimes decide not to update.

How do you maintain your blog? Do you care if things are left unchanged on other blogs? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. I always put my new contests at the top of my blog and try to update my links to popular author interviews on the side bar. I have a blog partner and she changes our book header to showcase books I plan to spotlight. You're right, it is important to maintain the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love reading posts like this, it really gives me ideas on what new things to put on my blog. I have to learn though as I'm not that good in the internal workings of a blog, I've only recently started learning basic HTML. Enjoyed this post very much :D Btw you can very much tell you put a lot of effort into your blog :)

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.