Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) by Richelle Mead: review

Goodreads rating: 4.51
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 401 pages
Published February 12th 2013 by Razorbill
Source: Bought
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM BOOKS 1 & 2

SYDRIAN!!!! I mean, really, that's the only word you need to convince yourself to read this book. But, since this is a review blog, I guess I have to write an actual review, which gives me a chance to gush about all that is Sydrian. So we finally get to meet Marcus Finch, and I'm honestly not impressed. The synopsis describes him as alluring, but after seeing how Adrian is with Syndey, no one will ever compare to him in this series. But his character is definitely an integral part of the story, especially now that Sydney is a little conflicted on how much her Alchemist values really mean to her, and Marcus is an ex-Alchemist. He represents something that Sydney sort of wants, but at the same time knows she can never have. If she leaves the Alchemists to be on the run, she'll probably never see Jill or Eddie or any of them ever again. I think Adrian might run with her, but it wouldn't make either of them truly happy to be away from the people they love. Still, Sydney wants to help Marcus' cause, she's taking on a mission that he gives her. And as she takes on this mission, she comes to realize how separate she is from her other Alchemists. They have so much bias against the vampires, and I always think it's hilarious that they always praise her for being so tolerant of the vampires, when in reality she's in love with one and she loves Jill as a sister. Needless to say, she's a bit conflicted in this one.

Adrian and Sydney were so great in this book. After the explosive, all-consuming kiss in The Golden Lily between them, Sydney can't stop thinking about it and Adrian, no matter how hard she tries. And while Adrian isn't making it easier being around all the time and just being his sexy self, he's also claimed to have resigned himself to not mentioning the fact that he's in love with her and wants to be with her. Like I said, Marcus was an interesting addition to the cast and I know he'll be important in the books to come, but I was completely unimpressed by him and so was Sydney. He came off as an asshat and a total tool, and while that does work with some books, it doesn't work when the guy is coming in during the third book. Sydney wasn't falling for anything with this guy; his charm was completely lost on her, which made me appreciate her even more. And of course, Adrian is just being himself, which makes Sydney want to jump his bones at times. I loved that about their relationship, that despite her better judgment and despite the fact that Adrian really is trying to tone down his love for her, she can't help wanting to be around him and to occasionally make out. At the same time, she knows how wrong it is. For most people, that would make it even hotter, but not for someone like Sydney. But Sydney is doing a lot more Alcehmist-forbidden things in this book than she would have ever thought.

The other part of the story is that Sydney's teacher that's been helping her deal with the magic inside of her knows a powerful magic user (and has a past with her) that's come to LA, and she gets her power by draining are like Sydney, meaning they have this magic power inside them and either they're completely unaware, of they haven't been inducted into any of the witch covens. Sydney is still against magic-using, but her teacher makes her realize that innocent girls are dying, and so her conscience gets the better of her. And Sydney really gets to show some more of her magic powers in this one, and also proved to Sydney that there are a lot of things that she's not alone in. I've said it so many times before, but these books have so much going on, but that's what makes them so good. There's always the underlying romance along with the decline of Sydney's faith in the Alchemist ways that has so far spanned the entire series, and then each book has a smaller story that pertains only to that book. It keeps you distracted from the things that are getting really bad, and it also adds something to either one of the characters or the plot. I'm so happy that the fourth book is coming out in November of this year, because I cannot wait to see more Sydrian!!!

3 comments:

  1. Such a great series I keep falling more in love! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally started reading this, this weekend and then realized it wasn't book 2. d'oh! sadly i am out of town so i can't get the golden lily until tomorrow. i'll catch up to you eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually read a Mead book yet... I think I need to. You particularly sold me with the comment about comfy clothes as whilst I don't wear track pants, I do love those kind of authors.

    Great review and I can't wait to start the Vampire Academy series to get on with reading Mead now! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.