Monday, April 8, 2013

Rise (Eve #3) by Anna Carey: review

Goodreads rating: 4.02
Published April 2nd 2013 by HarperCollins
ARC, 320 pages
Source: Back room of Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop

How far will you go when you have nothing left to lose?

When she lost her soul mate, Caleb, Eve felt like her world had ended. Trapped in the palace, forced to play the part of the happy, patriotic princess of The New America—and the blushing bride of her father's top adviser—Eve's whole life is a lie. The only thing that keeps her going is Caleb's memory, and the revolution he started.

Now, Eve is taking over where Caleb left off. With the help of Moss, an undercover subversive in the King's court, she plots to take down The New America, beginning with the capital, the City of Sand. Will Eve be able to bring about a new, free world when she's called upon to perform the ultimate act of rebellion—killing her father?

In Rise, Eve must choose who to leave behind, who to save, and who to fight as Anna Carey's epic tale of romance and sacrifice in the chilling dystopia of The New America comes to a stunning conclusion.

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM BOOKS 1 & 2

It's no secret that I fell in love with this series from the beginning. Both Eve and Caleb stole my heart, and then Anna Carey broke it when Caleb was killed at the end of Once after her and Caleb made love. I just couldn't believe that he was actually dead, but Carey made it very clear that he was dead, which broke my heart all over again. Eve is walking on thin ice. She's working for the Resistance. Now that she's had a chance to met her father (who's actually the ruler of New America, whom she despises), she realizes that he cannot stay in power. Though she sees a softer side of him at times, it's not enough to make up for what he's done with the girls at the schools, something that Eve was nearly a victim of. Too bad her friends were, and Eve gets to see them again in this book. But that's heartbreaking too, and Eve gets to see firsthand what the pregnancies her father is mandating is doing to the actual women. The other part of this is that Eve is pregnant too, which we find out very early in this book. That night with Caleb was more than just sharing their love for each other; it created life. That's just another thing for Eve to deal with at this point, especially when the Resistance needs her as a key player in their coop. And she's engaged to another man.

While Eve and Once were full of romance, Rise is not. And that was disappointing. The whole book was spent waiting and waiting for Caleb to come back to Eve alive. Maybe worse for the ware, but at least he'd be there with her for the worst of it. The only real romance was Eve's heartbreak over Caleb, and dealing with her father's head adviser and his love for her that she can't return. I forget his name, but I kind of grew to love him in a way. He was more like a best friend to Eve and, against his better judgment, really stuck up for her when she needed him. I really felt bad for him because her heart would always belonged to Caleb, but he still loved her and fought for her when he didn't need to. The rest of it is just Eve, missing Caleb, wondering what they would be doing together on the run from her father. But if she had left with him, if she hadn't been heartbroken by Caleb's death, then things wouldn't have gone the same or she might have been caught earlier. I just missed the romance in this book compared to the rest of the series. It must have been to show Eve's growth as an individual, but Caleb was a big part of who Eve had become. I just missed him!

Luckily, Eve isn't the only one in the palace that is part of the Resistance. Moss was an awesome character. I was almost hoping that something would start between him and Eve since Caleb was gone, but there was nothing there for them. Being part of the cause, especially inside enemy lines, leaves little time for anything else. It's why Eve is able to focus on killing her father, which is the main focus of the Resistance at this point. She's the only one that can get close enough to him and not have the attempt be thwarted. It really helps that she's pregnant for this, mostly because no one really suspects a pregnant woman in trying to assassinate their king. Bad move. I definitely enjoyed the political intrigue of this book and the sneaking around in the beginning, but then I liked how it turned back to what Eve was first thrust into in the first book: a very hostile outside world. Like I said, I think the lack of romance was due to Eve needing to get over some big hurdles in her life, and I liked how Eve grew as a person and how the people she touched had grown. I think there could have been a better ending to this series (I explain more in the spoilers section how it could have been different) because the ending was way too rushed and a huge chunk was left out. But it was still a great book and I still love this series.



First off, I was so happy when Eve killed her father. I know it was a big responsibility, but she was really the only one that could get close enough to him. I was very confused by the ending. So, apparently, Caleb has been alive (barely) since the end of the last book. I was just so mad that Carey didn't write some sort of epilogue. Here's how I imagine it: After the end of the final chapter where Eve rushes off to see Caleb in the hospital wing, there's an epilogue set a year or so into the future, when things have begun to settle down and the new government is getting into place. It features Eve and Caleb, together. Because at the end, Eve is just told that Caleb is alive. We don't actually get to see him. I understand not fleshing out the reunion, but I'd like to have some happiness after the heartbreak of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.