Sunday, April 21, 2013

If I Should Die (Revenants #3) by Amy Plum: review

Goodreads rating: 4.47
ARC, 405 pages
Expected publication: May 7th 2013 by HarperTeen
Series: Revenants #3
Source: Back room of Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM BOOKS 1 & 2

I have loved this series from the very beginning, and, out of all the series that have ended or are going to end this year, this is definitely in the top three. The Revenants series has been compared to Twilight, and in some ways I think that it's better (my main evidence being the absence of a Jacob-like character and a hybrid baby). Also, it takes place in Paris, and while I love the forest, Paris gives it that foreign feel that really takes you out of your world. Kate is willing to do anything to get Vincent back now that he's been taken by the enemy army of the living dead, but after being betrayed by Violette, she has no idea where they're keeping him or if he's even alive still. Luckily, they have a special connection where he can keep in contact with her when he's in hibernation mode. Not so luckily, Vincent has no idea where they're holding his body. And when they destroy Vincent's body, Kate only knows of one way to get her Vincent back. And it's a long shot. This book has become nearly about all the romance, but it works in this case. I love Kate and Vincent (especially Vincent), and their fate and romance has been intertwined with what happens in the rest of the series. They need Vincent; Kate needs Vincent, and she'll do anything to get him back. But it's more than a walk in the park.

The other part I love about this series is the building of the other relationships. Unlike Bella, Kate has a sister that's meddling in Kate's revenant life, keeping her grounded in a world that's not full of revenants all the time. Plum also addresses a gay relationship, and if you've read the series, I'm sure you an guess who I mean. Kate has a whole family of people that love her. Even her grandparents know about the revenants and they have resources that Kate is able to use in order to save Vincent. So I was glad Kate was able to keep all the people she loved in the picture, especially since it's the final book in the series and she needs all the support she can get. And then there's Bran, the man who Kate is counting on to know something that will save Vincent. But Bran is in danger too. There were certain scenes in this book that really showed what Kate could do for Vincent and not the other way around. She proves that true love is invincible, and that the love of family and friends can also help save this true love. I think that's what made me love this final book. I hate to keep comparing it to Twilight, but while Bella decides to go behind the backs of the people she loves, Kate needs the people she loves in order to save the man she's fallen in love with and needs her.

I'm so sad to see this series end. Especially Jules. He decides to leave them for a little while, and though he does come back when they need him most, Jules is in love with Kate. That's not really a spoiler because it was obvious. All you have to do is read the synopsis for Die For Her, the novella between Until I Die and this one, to find that out. The thing I loved about this series is that Kate didn't even know that Jules was in love with her and therefore never acted on it. Vincent never left her, so Jules never got a chance to move in, which made this final book perfect. Kate needed to be completely focused on finding a way to save Vincent, and even though I love Jules, she was never meant to be with him. But he still plays an important part in her life, and I felt really bad for Jules. Not everything was resolved, and there will always be the threat of bad revenants. Luckily, they have the Champion now (and there's no way I'm going to tell you who it is!), so the chances of someone like Violette even touching the good revenants in Paris again is slim. This is one of my favorite series ending this year, and I'm going to seriously miss these characters. But I also can't wait to see what Plum writes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.