Monday, March 18, 2013

Shadows in the Silence (Angelfire #3) by Courtney Allison Moulton: review

Goodreads rating: 4.44
Hardcover, 469 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Series: Angelfire #3
Source: Bought

Your strength in heart and hand will fall. . . .
Ellie knows that the darkest moments are still to come, and she has everything to fight for:

She must fight for Will.
The demonic have resorted to their cruelest weapons to put Will in mortal danger, and Ellie makes an unlikely alliance to save him and to stop Lilith and Sammael, who seek to drown the world in blood and tear a hole into Heaven.

She must fight for humanity.
As the armies of Hell rise and gather for the looming End of Days, Ellie and her band of allies travel to the world’s darkest and most ancient regions in her quest to come into her full glory as the archangel Gabriel.

And Ellie must save herself.
Her humanity withers beneath the weight of her cold archangel power, but Ellie must hold tight to who she is and who she loves as she prepares for the ultimate battle for Heaven and Earth.

In this final installment in the Angelfire trilogy, Courtney Allison Moulton brings her dark world of epic battles and blistering romance to a blazing bright conclusion.

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM BOOKS 1 & 2

If you follow my blog at all, you know how much I adore this series. I even co-hosted a read-a-thon leading up to the release date of this final installment because of how much I love these books. And while I was sad to see this series end, this last book could not have been better. We're flung back into the aftermath of the events that happened in Wings of the Wicked. Nathaniel is dead, both Ellie's mom and dad (who wasn't really her dad for a while) are dead, and now Will's been bitten by a poisonous demonic reaper and Ellie only has a week to find an antidote. That's where Caden comes in. He's a demonic reaper that's fallen in love with Ellie and wants to do good by her even though he knows how much she loves Will and that nothing will ever happen between them. I really did feel for Caden being with Ellie as much as he was this entire book, and helping her find the antidote for Will, the guy who's basically his competition. But Caden was mature enough to realize Ellie's feelings, and that everything that's going on is way bigger than him. Ellie couldn't have done all that she does in this book without him. She has a lot more to deal with than boy troubles, though, now that Lilith and Sammael are on the loose and are killing any earthbound angels. Ellie needs both Will and Caden more than ever.

Well you know that Will survives. That's not really a spoiler, because Ellie couldn't do what she needs to without him. Luckily, Caden is on his best behavior and understands that Ellie needs Will. They eventually figure out an antidote, Ellie does some good, and Will comes back from the brink of death. It's no secret that Will and Ellie are one of my favorite couples in YA lit. But Will is also in my top three fictional boyfriends. I love him like Ellie does. He's her strength, her other half. Without him, she couldn't have possibly had the strength to do what she eventually has to do in order to try to defeat Lilith and Sammael. There are definitely some steamy moments. I guess having your reaper boyfriend/soul mate be near death for nearly a week brings things into perspective. But Will's illness isn't the only problem keeping Ellie and Will apart during this book. Ellie's archangel brother isn't exactly happy about Will and Ellie being in love. He's not planning on allowing it, but Ellie is also willing to fight to her last breath to be with Will. They've been through too many lifetimes, too many of her deaths just to be told that they can't be together. But that's easier said than done.

Ellie runs into an issue in this one. Doesn't she always? But now she has to decide if it's worth possibly losing her humanity so that she can become the archangel Gabriel to defeat Lilith and Sammael. If she goes full archangel, her human body might burn up and she can never be human again. I think she would be okay with it if it didn't mean that she might not love Will anymore if she's an archangel, and wouldn't be able to be with him either. And that would kind of suck. I've always loved the angel mythology in these books, and this adds even more. There are books where the Nephilim look like normal humans, but Moulton used them in the way the bible describes them, as large beast-like humans. A couple more layers were added to the story, and I loved that the author found a way to add something new to an already amazing story filled with lore. And that ending was as perfect as this series was going to allow it. I can't say too much, obviously, but it really showed the persistence of true love. I'm so sad to see this series go, but I'm also really excited to see what CAM comes out with next. I just know it's going to be epic. Though I'm not sure how she'll top Will and Ellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.