Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pure (Covenant #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: review

Goodreads rating: 4.46
Paperback, 329 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Spencer Hill Press
Series: Covenant #2
Source: Bought

There is need. And then there is Fate... 

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. 

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her. 

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM BOOK 1

Ugh this book! The writing was brilliant, as was the plot, but it made me so mad!!!!! Pure has the sequel syndrome. What does this mean, you may ask? Well, it means that, in the second book of the series, the guy that you love in from the first book basically disappears from the second book so that we have no choice but to pay attention to the other guy. That is what happens here, and I hated it. I really don't get how anyone can be Team Seth, but I think JLA has done the best job I've ever seen making the other guy at least sexually attractive to me. Usually I end up reading past the parts with the other guy because I just don't care. But I have to admit that I found Seth to be pretty sexy at times. I have to keep reminding myself that this series isn't all about the romance, but it really becomes that. Aiden is being distant, which makes Alex drift towards Seth, but it's also because Alex is the second Apollyon, which means that, once she comes of age, he can suck all of her power and become the God Killer. You think that would make you want to stay far, far away from Seth, but I think we know Alex pretty well at this point and she's just a magnet for trouble. If anything, she's actually Fated to be with Seth, and Aiden is the guy that's wrong for her. But it's obviously more complicated than that.

I'm so happy that I started this series. I now understand why everyone is Team Aiden, and now I understand why some people are Team Seth. Like I said before, JLA really made me feel something for Seth. While I know the boy is sexy, he's completely under the thumb of Alex's stepfather, though he never admits to it. He acts all tough and confident, but you know that's just a facade. I guess that's another one of the attraction things about Seth, because Alex really does want to know what's behind that cocky exterior. But I really did miss Aiden. We get so much of him in Half-Blood (especially that one scene, you guys know what I'm talking about), and then in Pure he's just not there. And honestly, I can only take so much of Seth. He's the kind of person where you have to take him in doses. This was an overdose of Seth that I really didn't need. Such a pretty cover shouldn't have such an annoying character. But JLA did her job: Seth really got under my skin. I've actually already read Deity, so I don't have to hope for more Aiden because there is more. You never really know what you have until it's gone, and that's what Pure was for me with Aiden.

Alex also has to deal with the fact that her mom really is dead now. In Half-Blood, Alex is confronted with the fact that her mother has not only been turned into a Daimon, but she's also been leading the Daimons on a more organized killing spree and turning more Pures into Daimons. But Alex had to kill her mother, and so now she's really dead, which means Alex is mourning the death of her mother for the second time. And on top of that, she's having to deal with the fact that the big honcho's at the main Covenant want her to not exist anymore, because if she does exist, then Seth will become the God Killer. The other big issue that everyone is facing for the first time is that Half-Bloods can be changed into Daimons, and they're even deadlier because you can't tell that they're Daimons. That's never been able to happen before, until Alex and everyone saw it for themselves at the end of Half-Blood where one of their Half-Blood friends was turned into a Daimon. I love the politics in these books. It makes it more interesting, and political intrigue always ends up messing with the plot. The next book, Deity, is way better than Pure. Mmmm much more Aiden...


I couldn't believe it, guys. I couldn't believe JLA killed off Caleb. I just can't even process this right now. Alex needs him, especially now that she knows she can make Seth the God Killer and a lot of people want her dead. I was also really pissed about how close Alex and Seth got, and how they nearly had sex when she'd been given that weird potion that made her really horny. This whole book, while extremely well-written has so far been my least favorite because of the two above-mentioned things.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series. Not sure I'd like the second book. Like you, I hate when the first guy just disappears and I'm not fond of love triangles. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I feel your pain. I was so in need of Aiden in Pure. But I do not like Seth and never will. Oh and Celeb...hold on girl.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.