Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West: review

Goodreads rating: 4.14
ebook, 352 pages
Published February 12th 2013 by HarperTeen
Source: e-ARC from publisher

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .
Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

Wow what an amazing debut! It was not that heavy until it needed to be, and I had no idea who the villain was (more like there was more than just one or even two!), and it was also funny. Addie was an amazing character. We start out in a place that no "Norms" know about called the compound, where humans with powers live. Addie is one of these people, called a Searcher; she can actually see into the future (only her own though). The thing about this book is that, even though they live in an excluded Compound where only people with powers live, they still have normal problems. Like being liked at school, or what guy likes her, or going through your parent's divorce. Addie is going through all of this. Her parents can't take each other anymore, and so they're getting a divorce. But the worst of it is that they're making her choose. Luckily, Addie has been looking into her immediate future her whole life, but this is the most she's looked into the future (six weeks to be exact), but she knows she has to do it. She can't leave something this big to fate. But she also makes her best friend promise (who can erase any memory) that, if Addie asks, she'll erase whatever life she doesn't end up choosing if that's what she wants.Too bad it doesn't exactly work out that way.

The romance was interesting. Because basically the entire book goes back and forth between Addie's two futures, we get to see nearly the same amount of time between both boys, Duke and Trevor. Duke is the quarter back at the high school in the compound, and he's been subtly (not so much) trying to get Addison's attention. Trevor on the other hand is a total Norm whom she meets at her new high school outside of the compound. One of the interesting things about this story is that the two futures eventually overlap, so when she's in the future where she stays in the compound, she still find Trevor somewhat attractive, although she's super mean to Norms behind their backs with her best friend. I have to admit, I liked Duke a little more than Trevor for most of the book. Maybe I just appreciated the time and effort he was putting in to get Addie to be his girlfriend. But Trevor was really sweet too, and fit better with the Addie in the Norm world than Duke did with the Addie in the Compound world. I know it sounds confusing, but once you read this book, you'l see that you can never really get confused about which life she's Searching through because of how opposite these lives become. You'll actually see in the end who she needs to pick. And don't forget about asking her best friend to erase whatever life she doesn't want...

Speaking of the best friend, named Laila, it depended on which life she was in, but I still enjoyed her. There were moments in her Trevor-life where she was a total beotch to Addie because she'd made the decision to leave her. But I think Addie would have been better off taking the life with Trevor (which still doesn't give anything away), mostly because I felt like Addie herself was a better person, and I liked her dad much more than her uber-controlling mom. I also flip-flopped though because I had a bit of a crush on Duke through most of the book. The thing that I had to keep reminding myself with this novel is that the whole thing is just one big Search into the future. Before the last couple chapters, we're thrust back into the real world, and Addie has to choose one life or the other. But by the end of the Search, her choice has been made impossible, and it's not just because of the two boys. There's a much bigger, more sinister plot brewing. And like I said, I sort of guessed one of the villains, but the other went way over my head. I still don't really get why they did it. I can't give anything away, and it's so hard!!!! But it's not just about the romance. I definitely recommend this amazing debut, and I cannot wait to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.