Monday, March 11, 2013

Mind Games (Mind Games #1) by Kiersten White: review

Goodreads rating: 3.88
ebook, 256 pages
Published February 19th 2013 by HarperTeen
Series: Mind Games #1
Source: e-ARC from publisher

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I haven't even finished her Paranormalcy series and the last book has been out since last year. The only problem I think I really found with this book is that White seemed to be trying so hard to distance herself from her first series that she made a main character that is so broken she's nearly unlikable. Now I don't know if that was the point, but you also can't help but feel for Fia. Even though this book is from two point of views, it's really more about Fia. Fia and Annie are twins, and then coerced them with promises of a happier life into a place that wants to use them. Annie is blind, but she also has visions of the future. Sometimes it was really hard to tell that she was blind, because she feels and hears so well. She's always trying to make sure Fia doesn't lose too much of herself now that they're stuck in a place that wants to use Annie for her visions and Fia for her deadly skills. The school uses the girls against each other, and right from the first chapter, we know that while Fia is willing to do anything to keep her sister safe (which usually means killing someone), she doesn't feel right about killing this guy. And that's where the problems start.

So there's sort of a love triangle. I really wish I could remember names, but the first guy that Fia starts to like is the guy that she can't kill and ends up saving. And then he just disappears from the novel basically. Fia keeps thinking about him, but he doesn't come back into the book until near the end. I really don't get why Fia likes him. Maybe it was because he was the first assignment that made her feel so strongly about not killing him, or maybe it's because he's a nice boy and so unlike the other love interest, who's name I also can't remember. I want to say it start with a J, but anyway he's there for a lot of the book. It turns out that Fia wants something to happen with him, and he seems to care for her too. They've kissed at least once, but he's drawn the line. The catch is that his father is the head of the organization that runs the school, and J runs the actual school. This gives Fia and Annie a reason to actually kind of hate him. He's not exactly nice to them either. But there's something deeper down that wants to be good. He just can't because of the tight hold his father has on him. There's something to both of these boys though that they're hiding.

It also turns out there's this other organization that's after Fia, which made the plot deliciously complicated. One of the things I liked about this book is to show that not everything is black and white. But one of the really confusing things about it was what was past and what was present. At times they seemed to blur, or the past parts would last way too long. So not only is there a dualing POV between two sisters whose voices really are more similar than I would have liked, but also it's going between the past and present. Needless to say it got confusing at times, especially when it was getting exciting and I wasn't paying attention to what the chapters said. But other than that, I really liked this book. I wasn't sure about it because Paranormalcy was always just okay for me. I can't wait to read more about Fia, especially after that jaw-dropping ending. I hope this turns into an exciting series!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you did not finish the Paranormalcy series but enjoyed this book. I have not finished the series either and was debating starting this one. So I am happy to hear it is definitely worth reading :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I just got this from the library and you've made me more excited to read this.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.