Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Choose You Blog Tour: Review of I Choose You (Friends & Lovers #2) by Bethany Lopez

I'm so glad I got to be a part of the blog tour for I Choose You! I haven't read many New Adult, and so I'm really glad to start joining in. If you want to see who else is on this tour, check it out HERE.

Goodreads rating: 3.69
ebook, 202 pages
Published December 27th 2012 by CreateSpace

Up until now, Nicole's life has been mapped out for her. She'd go to college, marry Jake and become the upstanding minister's wife. When she leaves that life to begin again in a small town in Texas, she finally has the freedom to live as she chooses. There, she meets Kent, a guy whose charm and passion make it hard to stick to her morals.

Dodging his father’s fists and protecting his twin sister made Kent into the man he is today. He learned by watching his mother stay by his father’s side that it’s better to keep relationships simple. Then he meets Nicole. Her sweet smile and genuine response to him land like punches to his resolve. After a lifetime of learning to protect his heart, can he finally let down his guard?

WARNING: I'm sick and I'm tired, so this review may be a little shorter than usual and may have more mistakes as well.

First thing's first, this book ended way too abruptly! I was really enjoying Nicole and Kent's story (I mean, it helps that the girl main character has my name, because I feel like Nicole's always get bad reps in books). My other problem was that the writing was sub-par compared to what I was expecting. I'm not finding very many good books so far in this new adult genre, but I'm still enjoying it because I can relate to it because I'm in college. I could also relate to it because Nicole's parents sort of forced her into the whole religion thing, and it took her going off on her own a little to realize that those dreams were her parent's and Jake's (her fiance), not her own. I can definitely relate to that, although my parents didn't force me to move far away when I decided to stop going to church. I just loved Nicole's past and I looked forward to the boy fixing her.

There was one thing that really pissed me off about Kent, and it was that he was so unsure of himself at some moments, and then completely full of himself to the point of being a completely different person in others. Although I do have to admit that he sounded really hot. I was also expecting more steamy scenes from these guys than I actually got. Okay, yeah, her religion which she still clings to, makes it clear that there will be no sex before marriage no matter what. And she was cool with that when she was engaged to Jake, who wanted the exact same thing, but now she's out in the real world with a real guy that most definitely does believe in no sex before marriage. Luckily, they sort of pull it off, but I just wish I could have seen more of those kind of scenes, and not just the drama of being a mature young adult.

Nicole only knows Kent because this girl Ronnie is coming to live with her in her apartment. I really liked Ronnie, and the other characters as well. They added something to the story, and were there for the other characters when they needed to be. I was just glad there were other three-dimensional characters besides the couple. Sadly, I just couldn't love this one. I wanted to desperately, especially with that cover (I don't think I've ever seen a hotter guy's face without seeing his eyes than the one on the cover). But it just fell short. Literally. All of a sudden, it just ended, and since I was on my Kindle, I kept pressing the forward button, but there was nothing else. As much as I wish there was a little more to this story, though, I'm kind of glad it ended there. It wrapped up nicely. The plot just went too quickly sometimes and the writing was just eh. Still a quick NA contemporary novel worth reading. You don't even have to read the first one because they're more like companion books.



About the author

Bethany Lopez was born in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up in Michigan and San Antonio, Texas. She went to High School at Dearborn High, in Dearborn, Michigan, which is where she has set her Young Adult series. She is married and has a blended family with five children. She is currently serving in the United States Air Force as a Recruiter in Los Angeles, California. She has always loved to read and write and has seen her dream realized by independently publishing her novels through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.

Website
Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the review... It was good the way it is in spite of you not feeling well.
    Sincerely hope you are on the road to recovery.

    BeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.