Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Boundless (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand: review

Goodreads rating: 4.22
Hardcover, 438 pages
Published January 22nd 2013 by HarperTeen
Series: Unearthly #3
Source: Bought, signed

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM BOOKS 1 & 2

I've always loved books about angels, and I feel like the whole angel trend sort of died out a couple years ago. That's why I'm always glad I have series like Hush, Hush, Fallen, and this one to bring me back to a time when angel books were all the rage. I just can't believe that all three of those series have officially ended now. I miss my angels! But if you're a fan of angels and obviously this series (you should have at least read books one and two before reading this review), then you'll love this finale to a great series. The beginning of the book is with Clara going to school at Stanford, which is in California for those who don't know. Both Christian and Angela have followed her there, but Clara knows she can't hide from the fallen angel that was and still is obsessed with her mother, who passed away in the last book. So Clara has to deal with all this on top of the fact of missing Tuck, trying to sort out a new vision of her and Christian in darkness and Clara in excruciating pain, and Angela not talking to her for some reason. That's a lot to deal with in your first year at a real college. Angela is hiding a secret though, a secret that puts them all at risk.

I didn't really like the first book because I felt like Clara had picked the wrong guy (I was and still am Team Christian). Then, with Hallowed, I sort of jumped for joy that there would be more Christian. But by the time Hallowed ended, I was still Team Christian, but had sort of resigned myself to the fact that she would probably end up with Tuck. Those were just my feelings after Hallowed. We get even more Christian in this one. He's there for Clara when Tuck isn't, and is obviously completely in love with her. But Clara is just stuck on Tuck (ha, that rhymes...) and it made me mad because Tuck isn't there and Christian is. Tuck and her seem meant to be though because, now that her father seems to be back in the picture for now and he's taught her how to travel like he does (popping in and out of places), she ends up finding herself in Tuck's barn a lot without even trying. When she's panicked and just needs to disappear from somewhere, she ends up there. I wish I could tell you who she ended up with, but I just wasn't surprised by her choice, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Clara gets to be with her father for parts of this book, which I really enjoyed. Since her mother passed, it was nice having a parental figure in the final book, even though he couldn't be there just for her. He had to teach her things in order to defeat what was coming. The dark-winged fallen angels are becoming a problem, and let's just say Angela is not helping. Angela really angered me in this book. She's supposed to be the strong sarcastic one, but then she stops talking to Clara, and when Clara finally does get a hold of her, she doesn't want to talk and doesn't go to any of her classes. I can't tell you why though, you'll have to find out! We also get to see Clara's brother again. After he started the fire that was in Clara's vision in the first book, he's had to be on the run. Luckily, he's talking to Clara now and they go out to breakfast and get to know the new them. But then he meets this girl. Clara doesn't even know her, but when she meets her, she knows something's off. If she tells her brother, he'll just think she doesn't want him to be happy. I was glad that the author added more layers to the story, even though it was the final book. It definitely kept up the pace. I will really miss this series, but I can't wait to see what Cynthia writes next! 


You kind of knew the whole time that she was going to pick Tuck in the end. My problem with her choice doesn't even have to do with being on Team Christian though. Tuck wasn't there throughout most of the novel. We get little glimpses but he only seems angry with Clara all the time. I just don't get why she ends up with him. Maybe it's the whole love knows no distance thing, but it made me mad that Tuck literally had to do nothing this whole book while Christian did everything and Tuck still gets the girl.

1 comment:

  1. I love angels and this was one of my first series in that genre. So sad to be over. I still have to finish the Hush, Hush series though. so I have that to look forward to.

    I was always torn between the boys because I really liked Christian from the beginning. And I agree with what you said in the spoiler section. I figured she'd end up with the one but didn't like how little he was even in this one. It didn't completely fit right. But still, loved the book. :)
    Thanks for stopping by my post!

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.