Saturday, February 9, 2013

MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0 #1) by Debra Driza: review

Goodreads rating: 4.00
e-ARC, 480 pages
Expected publication: March 12th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Series: MILA 2.0 #1
Source: e-ARC for review from publisher
Recommendation: Borrow it

Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past —that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity–style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.



This was one of my most anticipated books for 2013, and while it didn't live up to my expectations, I still enjoyed the ride. Our main character is Mila. She thinks she's a normal human girl, living a normal human life. Her father's died recently, and so her and her mom moved to some podunk town in Minnesota where nothing happens. But after an accident with a boy that seems to really like her and a jealous friend that tears the skin off her arm, she comes to find that she's not a normal human. She's a machine. It turns out that her and her "mom" are actually on the run from a government agency who paid top dollar to have Mila built. But Mila doesn't understand; she has memories of her father and the life they lived in the city. But it turns out that she never lived that life. It also turns out that Mila is way more human than anyone could have imagined. Now that their cover is blown, they have to run just as Mila is starting to get used to all her robotness (yes, that is totally a word). Mila is programmed to basically be an assassin, so that really comes in handy the few times the government (and people not in the government) come after them. When they eventually do get captured, Mila learns even more about herself and the kind of android they expect her to be. And it really hits home when she meets MILA 3.0, and Lucas.

Lucas and Hunter. Our two boys in this love triangle. I'll go over each one in slight detail, and then I think it'll be obvious who I have chosen. Hunter is the boy that she meets in her new home town. She's been there for some time, and then this new guy comes to town, and his name is Hunter. They start out as subtly flirting in that awkward high school kind of way, and he's there when she gets thrown from the truck and her inhuman arm is exposed. But he doesn't seem to care (I guess you can write it off as prosthesis, but that still seemed a little odd to me that he just didn't care) and they end up on a date. Too bad that gets messed up too. And when she has to run away, she has to leave Hunter as well. And that's the end of that segment. Then, when Mila and her mom get caught, she meets Lucas, a scientist for this government organization that is meant to run tests on her. But as they spend more time together, they realize that they have a lot in common, and eventually Lucas helps her do something that changes the course of events in the book. Needless to say, I'm totally team Lucas. He has a limp, which is so endearing, and for some reason I was always suspicious of Hunter. And even with the book ending the way it did, I'm still suspicious of him. TEAM LUCAS FOR LIFE!

I definitely enjoyed myself while reading this book, but there were some things that bugged me. This was such a great premise, but honestly the execution could have been better. I'm not sure what it is about this book, but while the idea itself earned a 5/5, the actual plot and writing is more like a 3.5/5. Hence the gracious 4/5. One thing I didn't like was her supposed best friend in the beginning. Just because you like a guy who seems to like your friend doesn't mean you freak out and start acting like a beotch. This chick, whose name I've left out for a reason, is the one that got Mila into her accident where she found out she's not exactly human. Yeah, I get that that moment had to happen, but it could have happened differently. I'm not sure if that was mean to show how humans can be even less human than a robot sometimes, but that could have just gone differently. The one thing I did like was the romance. Driza set up a believable love triangle where the boys are from completely different parts of her life. I most definitely can't wait to see what happens next in the series! 


1 comment:

  1. I saw this on NetGalley and IMMEDIATELY requested it. Hope I get it, the book sounds AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.