Saturday, February 2, 2013

January Wrap-Up


This month, I started school again. Yeah, not fun. If I was still at community college, I wouldn't have even started my semester yet! That's the only thing I miss about community college, besides living at home with no cares... What else?... Oh yeah, it was my birthday this month! I can't believe I'm 22 already. Le sigh. But at least I treated myself with a slew of books, both gifts from my parents and ones bought with money given to me. And I just bought a bunch more for signings. This next In My Mailbox is going to be CRAY! And by that I mean flippin' awesome and exciting! I'm going to some really amazing signings this month. Both are on Mondays, but their group author events and I'll be able to sleep at home instead of driving back up to school that night because my class the next day doesn't start until 3:30. So if you're going to the Dark Days tour stop in Huntington Beach or the Breathless Reads stop in La Verne, just let me know so we can say hi!

School has been uneventful. I haven't had any essays to take or papers to turn in yet (that'll be next week!). The other thing that I just realized a couple days ago is that I'd rather take a class on ancient Greek (mostly because a lot is based on mythology, at least in this class I'm taking) than a class on literature about 1900's+ California. I guess it just depends on your interests.

In book-related news, I had my first DNF ever this month. It really depressed me, and I was very afraid that I was going to fall into some horrible reading slump. Not only would that be terrible for me since I love reading, but it would have also sucked for you guys because I wouldn't be posting as many reviews. Luckily, I sucked it up and just picked up the next book. It wasn't on my schedule and I honestly have no idea why I picked it up, but I liked it a lot, and then the next book I like and so on. This DNF didn't effect my reading, which I'm so grateful for. I would hate for anything to make me lose my love of reading.

The final thing is that another little bout of plagiarism plagued the blogosphere this month. I'm not going to say anymore on it, but I wrote a post about why I think plagiarism sucks. Because it just does. I also wrote a post about tips for new book bloggers, which has nothing to do with plagiarism, so check it out!

Oh, and guess what you can still sign up for? This:
REVIEWED
The Archived (The Archived #1) by Victoria Schwab
Doomed by Tracy Deebs
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi
Breaking Point (Article 5 #2) by Kristen Simmons

READ
MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0 #1) by Debra Driza
Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead
Indigo Awakening (The Hunted #1) by Jordan Dane [DNF]
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Immortal City (Immortal City #1) by Scott Speer
Natural Born Angel (Immortal City #2) by Scott Speer
The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead
Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West

Tracy Deebs, author of Doomed
Interview HERE
Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West

PUBLICATION DATE: February 12th, 2013

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.



Thoughts: This was a lot better than I thought it'd be. I wasn't sure it was going to be good with switching between the two possible futures and having most of the book be within the Search, but I really enjoyed it. Funny, witty dialogue, a likable MC, two hot love interests, and a mystery. Right up my alley!

Immortal City (Immortal City #1) by Scott Speer

PUBLICATION DATE: April 3rd, 2012

Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them.

He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat & and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.


Thoughts: Honestly, it's just because the guy on the cover is super hot. Not going to lie, that's pretty much the only reason I chose this cover...
Adrian Ivashkov from The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead

PUBLICATION DATE: June 12th, 2012

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

Sydney would love to go to college, but instead, she’s been sent into hiding at a posh boarding school in Palm Springs, California–tasked with protecting Moroi princess Jill Dragomir from assassins who want to throw the Moroi court into civil war. Formerly in disgrace, Sydney is now praised for her loyalty and obedience, and held up as the model of an exemplary Alchemist.

But the closer she grows to Jill, Eddie, and especially Adrian, the more she finds herself questioning her age–old Alchemist beliefs, her idea of family, and the sense of what it means to truly belong. Her world becomes even more complicated when magical experiments show Sydney may hold the key to prevent becoming Strigoi—the fiercest vampires, the ones who don’t die. But it’s her fear of being just that—special, magical, powerful—that scares her more than anything. Equally daunting is her new romance with Brayden, a cute, brainy guy who seems to be her match in every way. Yet, as perfect as he seems, Sydney finds herself being drawn to someone else—someone forbidden to her.

When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney’s loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she's supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she's been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.

Should she trust the Alchemists—or her heart?






Thoughts: Adrian was just so hot in this book. He was so distraught after he and Rose "dated" and then she broke his heart. But now he's doing everything he can to be near Sydney. Plus, he's adorable, lovable and just fun to be around. I want this guy at one of my parties! Did I mention he's hot?

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the best array that I admission anytime read. You admission provided a abounding breadth of information. I will in ability allocation it with my added friends. Accrue up the able work, I would to breach in associate with your posts
    Rinoplasti

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was always on the quarter system so i know no other way of life. :) but it is fast paced and i feel your pain.

    glad you got over the reading slump. i am kind of in one right now. not bad books, just too tired to do much reading every day, so my progress i sooo slow. hopefully i get over it soon.

    i just finished bloodlines and omg awesome! i love adrian a lot. :) can't wait to read book 2!

    and can you do a "start the series" challenge? crystal and i were talking about that. we both have so many series we need to start, before i can finish. haha. you're probably way ahead of me on those.

    ok epic comment over. see you in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.