Saturday, February 23, 2013

Book-to-Movie Review: Beautiful Creatures

So last Saturday, I decided I needed to see Beautiful Creatures before I had to go back up to school. But since my boyfriend didn't want to go and my best friend was busy, I asked my dad to go with me. He agreed but that's only because he loves me and he know that otherwise I would have just gone alone and that would have been a sad, sad spectacle.

I had really low expectations going into this movie. I mean REALLY low. The YA books being made into movies have so far been sub-par, and this book wasn't even my favorite to begin with. I was expecting it to suck just as much as Twilight, and I told my dad as much. Still he went, and it wasn't half bad. The cast was phenomenal, obviously, and the story was really gothic and interesting in this film setting. I was surprised by how much I liked the actor that played Ethan Wate. He was awkward when he needed to be, but then he really stepped it up in the parts that needed superb acting. The girl who played Lena Duchannes wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but at least she's not Kristen Stewart. I guess I mostly didn't see Ethan's attraction to her, because she really wasn't pretty in the movie. I don't know if that was on purpose, but I really couldn't see the attraction with them. I know love is not only skin-deep, but this Hollywood. Everyone is gorgeous. I definitely had a crush on Ethan the entire movie. He was cute and awkward, but had a body as well. Just... mmm...

I think the only complaint I really have as a movie-plot-flow-thing point, is that they should have made it more obvious how Jeremy Iron's sacrifice at the end was really going to hurt Lena by building their relationship better. I can't remember in the book how their relationship was shown, and I know they can't put everything in there, but I didn't feel as heartbroken as I wanted to at the end. My favorite character was definitely the cousin played by Emmy Rossum. She's an amazing actress and was perfect at playing a dark caster. She also played the perfect coward at the end.

The truth is, I really don't care if it's close to the book. I barely even remember the book, and so I was just excited to see it up on the big screen. And I wasn't disappointed!

Have you read Beautiful Creatures or seen the movie? Or both? Let me know what you thought about it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I just posted about the Movie early this week. I agree I love the casting and I thought the setting was well done too. I actually mentioned the whole Lena is no Kristin Stewart too since I kept hearing it being compared to Twilight. I took my boyfriend, he said it was confusing and felt like he was missing facts. I had not read the first since it first came out a couple years ago, so I did not make a super direct comparison. But I didn't like that Marian was left out of the movie.

    My Review

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read and loved Beautiful Creatures--loved the movie, too! And I actually think Alice Englert is pretty, in a comfortingly unconventional way. She's adorkable in this video from Vanity Fair.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.