Monday, February 11, 2013

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead: review

Goodreads rating: 4.29
Hardcover, 421 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by Razorbill
Series: Bloodlines #1

Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

Ever since the Vampire Academy series ended, I've been waiting for Richelle Mead to write another YA series from this world. But when I heard it was about Sydney--uptight, vampire-hating Sydney--and that's why I didn't read it until this year. Richelle Mead even had a signing later last year for The Golden Lily, and even then , I couldn't make myself do it. I never liked Sydney. But that changed after I finally made myself read Bloodlines. The aftermath of the final book in the Vampire Academy series is finally taking its toll on Sydney. She's been punished for helping Rose and Dmitri, but she's still expecting the worse: being sent to a re-education center. No one knows what it really is, but generally when you go in, you don't come back out. The Alchemists have instead decided that Sydney needs to help with protecting Lissa Dragomir's sister, Jill. She was attacked by Stragoi and since Lissa can't be queen without having a living relative, it's Jill that's now being targeted. And Eddie is back! He's also protecting Jill. I loved having all these old characters come back, especially Rose near the beginning, and then a surprise guest near the end. With all these old characters making appearances, it made it a lot more fun. These books always have so many layers, and I just love them all!

One of the reasons I picked this up was because of Adrian. Mmmmm Adrian. Sadly, there wasn't much romance, but I had already read that in other reviews, so I was prepared for it. The thing is, though, that Richelle Mead is brilliant at showing how people's small expressions can mean a lot. Jill actually got a lot of action, so to speak. She's only fifteen, but she looks like a model, being a Moroi and all in a school full of human students. The first to chase after her is Micha, Eddie's roommate. You can tell that he really likes her, but it's not a good idea for Jill to date a human. And besides, at the house where Jill goes for her feedings, there's another Moroi there named Lee who's very sweet to her and he's not off-limits like Micha was. Needless, to say, Jill has her hands full with boys! Eddie and Syndey are putting all this time into keeping her safe, but it's actually Adrian that's getting her into trouble. First thing to know is that Adrian healed her with spirit when she was attacked before the book, and the second thing is that they now have this connection, which means that sometimes Jill feels and sees what Adrian does (but not the other way around). Now, Adrian is most definitely not over Rose, which means that he still drinks and feels sorry for himself, which means that this effects Jill, even when she's in school. Luckily, as Adrian gets better, so does Jill. Now Sydney just has to keep him that way.

I think I didn't like this as much as the first Vampire Academy, first because of the lack of romance on Sydney's end. And second because it takes place in Palm Springs. I hate hot weather, especially out in that area. But luckily Sydney wasn't too fond of it either. I loved watching her struggle with the stereotypes that had been drilled into her head by the Alchemists since forever. I couldn't guess the villain was, mostly because there were multiple villains for different things. There's a mention of vampire hunters, but by the end it seems to be proven that they don't exist (more about this in The Golden Lily). The first mystery is these tattoos that are a lot like the golden one that Sydney has on her cheek, except they're silver and bronze and the like. At first, Sydney doesn't look too far into it, until one of her new friends has a really bad reaction to it. And the other bad guy? Well, we don't find out how bad they really are until the end. Again, so many layers! But Sydney gets to prove that she's not as incompetent as the Alchemists think. This was a great first book of a series, and since I already The Golden Lily, I can't wait to see what happens in The Indigo Spell! ADRIAN!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I'm not much of a romance fan, so that won't bother me.

    But, I didn't realize that this was a spin-off from the original Vampire Academy. Damn, now I have to read 5 more books before this one!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.