Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Tahereh Mafi: review

Goodreads rating: 4.44
ARC465 pages
Expected publication: February 5th 2013 by HarperCollins
Source: ARC from ALA

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

There's not much I could say about this book that could make you want to read it even more. If you're reading this review, it should mean that you've read Shatter Me and most likely totally loved it! Unravel Me will not disappoint. I actually got one of the first ARC's at ALA this past summer, and immediately read it. To be honest, I rushed through the end because I knew I would need to read it a second time in order to review it closer to the release date. And even reading it the second time, it was brilliant. Tahereh's writing style and beautiful and heartbreaking, and Juliette is still crossing things out in her head. Omega Point isn't working out like she thought it would. She barely gets to see Adam, and after the newness of the place starts to go away, Juliette begins to realize that she's just taking orders from someone else. She's also trying to figure out the extent of her powers, but the idea of testing them out scares her. And then there's Warner, who's been scouring the area for her, and who she found out can touch her just like Adam can.

So, yes, it's become a love triangle. I begged it not to, guys, but what happened in Shatter Me between Juliette and Warner could not be forgotten. Despite this little hiccup (and even after the end of Unravel Me) I still believe that Juliette and Adam belong together. They've known each for so long and have shared so much that it's not possible that they're not meant to be. But Tahereh is making it a little more difficult for our favorite couple. As I said above, Juliette and Adam haven't seen each other much since coming to Omega Point. But the few moments they have together are...well, let's just say I was blushing as I read it. Super YA sexy!!! But it's not enough, guys, not nearly enough for my taste. After a surprise visitor, they come to realize that Adam's power isn't what they thought it was, and it jeopardizes his relationship with Juliette, to the point that she makes a grave mistake with Warner. But I can say no more! In any case, even with that cliffhanger ending, I know that Adam and Juliette are meant to be together. And I think Juliette knows that now too.

I loved Kenji! He was the best character, and we learn a lot more about him in this one. He actually plays a very important part, not just in this book, but at Omega Point. He always seems too carefree (and totally flirts with Juliette whenever he gets the chance) to have much responsibility, but he has a special relationship with the leader of Omega Point and he's been there for a long time. I feel like everyone's in love with Juliette, which is the only thing that seems to bother me about this series. Still, Kenji is the best! We also get to meet Warner's father, the leader of the Reestablishment, and we find out that Warner has a reason to be as screwed up as he is. Juliette still feels a weird connection with him (which intensifies, much to my dismay), but she also comes to realize that he's still a monster for all the things he's done. He may be a product of his environment, but he's also unwilling to change who he is. With that ending, I am DYING for the third book! I read Unravel Me the first time last summer, so by the time the third one comes out, it'll feel like forever!! Tahereh, WHY??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.