Monday, January 7, 2013

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi: review

Goodreads rating: 4.43
Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected publication: January 8th 2013 by HarperCollins
Source: Borrowed ARC

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

I fell in love with Under the Never Sky because of Aria's intense transformation and the love story between her and Perry. This sequel was no exception, and Rossi made me fall even more in love with her characters. Through the Ever Night starts up a few months after Perry is named Blood Lord of the Tides. Finally, after Aria comes back from her mission, she and Perry are reunited. But not everyone's as happy to see Aria as Perry is. Because she's a former Dweller, the people don't trust her. And they're already suspicious of Perry of not being a good leader. So they have to hide their relationship from the people, and that keeps them apart a lot. They barely get any alone time (not nearly enough for my taste anyway) and there always having to battle for their relationship. On top of that, the Aether storms are getting much worse and threatening to be year-round. Not exactly a good sign for a struggling tribe that just got a young new leader, and soon, Perry had a rebellion on his hands without Aria or his best friend Roar. And Perry's about to lose someone very close to him on top of that. This book is just full of problems, and my heart ached for so many people. And I loved every moment of it.

Aria and Perry aren't the only ones having relationship problems. Roar and Liv, Perry's sister have been separated for a long time. So when Roar sees a chance to travel to find Liv, he takes it. And Aria goes with him. Aria knows that she's just creating problems for Perry in the Tides, and she thinks leaving is the best option. But I think that if Aria hadn't gone with Roar, it would have turned out badly for him. But Perry didn't see it that way. He was hurt my Aria leaving, but he tried to convince himself that it had been the right thing to do. Then the rest of the deal that Perry made with another great tribe leader (whose name totally slips my mind) in return for marrying Liv. The Tides are starving and under threat of being taken over, so the supplies and soldiers come just in time. The problem is that the spokesperson for the tribe is a woman, who suddenly has her sights set on being with Perry. Perry isn't sure how Aria feels about him, and he can't deny how wanted this other girl makes her feel. Yeah, it frustrated me too. But you'll have to see how it turns out for yourselves!

The story eventually always comes back to Cinder. As we found out in the first book, he can basically conduct the Aether through himself. But it drains him every time. And that power in the wrong hands could be deadly. But he starts coming out of his shell and starts hanging out with a girl named Willow I think. His happiness will sadly be shortlived. Another person the story comes back to is Perry's nephew, who's still trapped with the Dwellers. It annoys me so much that I'm forgetting all the terms from this book, but everyone's looking for this something-Blue, where there's no Aether. Everyone believes that the man who's going to marry Liv knows where it is. And the only way the ruler of the Dweller sector that Aria's from will release Perry's nephew is if she gets him that information. Yes, it is super complicated. But Aria gets help from a surprising ally, Soren, the boy that tried to hurt the night that Perry saved her in the first book. But the question that really was at the forefront of this story was if Perry and Aria were going to be together at the end of the book. Again, I'll let you guys find that out for yourselves! Such an explosive sequel! I can't wait to find out what happens next!


3 comments:

  1. Sable is the horrible leader that slipped your mind. Gah, I hate him. And it's the Still Blue. I forget that stuff all the time too! Like, all the time. I only remember now because I just finished this book last night. I loved it so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to wait until Feb 7 when Veronica Rossi, Tahereh Mafi (lover her book!!) Cynthia Hand and Brodi Ashton come to Cambridge, MA for the Pitch Dark: Dark Days tour, to be able to get Through the Ever Night and Unravel Me... :'( WHY!!!!!!!??????

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEP!!! Awesome review, girl!! I freaking loved this book too!! I adored the characters and it was so intense and amazing! I love how this book felt so necessary.. it wasn't a filler at all!!

    I think the third book is going to be FREAKING AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.